AVIC411.com

GPS antennae extension

I have the AVIC-z1 in my blazer, I had an avic-88 in the cargo area previously and had no probs with the length of the antennae wire, unfortunatly now that I have the Z1 the antennae lead is about a foot and a half too short so I currently have it on my dash instead of up on the back part of the roof where I prefer it (and it's more accurate).

Can anyone reccomend a place where I could get maybe a 5 or so foot extension lead?

Thanx!
[quote name="NYRngrs24"]I also have te same problem, a few feet too short. I cant compare it to the roof. Ive always had on my dash, but is it really more accurate on the roof?[/quote]

Much more accurate. Take into consideration the slope of your windshield in relation to the roof. Now most of the sats are in a southerly direction...So think geometrically. The signal is hitting the roof before hitting the antennae when it's on your dash. Now also pictureyour self going down hill, the pitch of the roof is now directly over the antennae and signal becomes weak. You can verify this by pointing your car in a northly direction on a slope. Thn move the antenna from the dash to the roof while watching your connection monitor, you will see it drop a few bars compared to the roof. :)
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
[quote name="tomdlgns"]guys guys guys.....

my antenna is mounted INSIDE my dash and i have perfect and accurate navigation.....

you guys dont need to be mounting it on your roof. you cant even see my antenna...unit works perfect![/quote]
[b]I agree!! [/b]I too have my antenna under the dash (Now with my 4th navi) and checking the sat's reception screen tells me that I get all of them.... which is more than you need. And I'm in the north - Canada.

Changing the length of the antenna cable will do more harm to your reception than you will gain from mounting back there. (Cable is matched to the antenna).
If you put it under your dash and on top of a metal beam you'll have absolutely great reception and no tell-tale antenna to attract the scum. :twisted:
yeah my first concern when i took this to get installed was the placement of the antenna, but the installer told me it will have no problem being mounted inside my dash. i forgot to mention that i have had the unit for 2 years now and i have never had any problems with reception. the only time i can remember it putting me next to a road instead of on the road was when i was in a forest preserve.... and i was surrounded by trees. even if it was mounted on my roof at the area i was at it would still have not done me any good.

throw it in the dash and call it a night...