AVIC411.com

Ok guys, this is a big one.

first off, im pretty sure that this is pushing the limit on related topics for this form, BUT! it does involve a D3 so i hope its cool. I have a grand master plan, and i need tech advice. i dont really know of any good tech fourms, and yall seem pretty smart, so here i am once more.

Right now, i have my computer linked up to my PS3 and 360 to my computer via a wierless conection, so i can access it from there. and with a PSP, i can access my PS3 from anywhere in the world that has a wierless net connection, and therefore access my computer through that. AND ive seen that you can link a PSP to your D3 too! SO, now all i need is a wireless connection in my car!... this is where it gets interesting....

i dont wanna pay 60 bucks a month for car internet!! thats crazy! SO ive got me a plan. *cracks nuckles* I have an iphone. and with that i can link a laptop up to it and use and AT&T EDGE network as internet. i also can create an AD-HOC network on the laptop to broadcast a hotspot from it. BUT i dont know if the laptop will reconize the iphones edge network as a lan internet connection. i also dont know if the PSP can use an AD-HOC network. SO, long story shory, i need to know if any of this is can be done.

Thanks in advance lol

So what does any of that have to do with the D3?

Why do you need the iphone or PSP when the laptop computer has an internet connection and a web browser?

I understand that you can connect/network all these devices together, but what exactly is it that you are trying to accomplish?

my ultimate goal is to have the laptop installed somewhere in the car, out of the way that i can plug my Iphone into and broadcast a hot sopt in and around my car. I want to be able to acess all of my files on my PC through my PS3, through my PSP and then through the D3. then i wouldnt need to worry about using a hard drive or having to bother with buying another ipod.

"Why do you need the iphone or PSP when the laptop computer has an internet connection and a web browser? "

The laptop dosent have internet untill i plug in the iphone. the laptop will be running off of AT&ts EDGE network, and maybe soon the G3 network. then it will broadcast that to the car. Not only to just acess my files but for long road trips, anyone with me that has a laptop can surf the web as we drive.

The internet hotspot in itself is cool and kinda easy to pull off, and is actuly where my main question lies. Can you run an AD-HOC network with an Iphone as your LAN connection?

This sounds rediculous. Just have the person in the car with you use the laptop with the iphone connected. why bother anyway else? Also, the 1st gen iphones will not connect to AT&T's 3G network. You have to shell out another $200+taxes and fees plus $10 extra a month on top of the $20 data fee to access the 3G network.

Seems like WAY too much work just to get your car stereo to play some music...

Also the fact that every time you get in the car you have to wait for everything to boot up and come on line.

Just buy an old used ipod and toss it in the glove box and be done with it.

Just go buy a Asus EeePc for 400 buxs, get it with XP and away you go.. Its a 7 inch little laptop that has built in Wifi and 3 USB ports. They come with 2g Solid state drives to 20g now.

2g are about $300 with linux, while 4g are with either OS.

The newer 900's are the 20g and range in the 500 area.

They are hard to find, but Tigerdirect has a few of em..

Where I work at we are planning to use them (stripped down) in our products. Cheaper then getting and Embedded MB and installing the stuff needed.

Old

Wow, that is so weird. i had actuly never even see or herd of thoes untill today, when i say a girl using one of thoes as i was walking out of physical therapy today. i was gonna try to find out what it was, and bam, your talkin about it.....weird o.o

anyway, im not sure how that would help tho. getting the computer/laptop was never the issue, it was the tethering the iphone and settign up the ad-hoc network that i need help with.

To answer the OP's original question: Yes, you can run an ad hoc network off of any connection. Your phone becomes your "ISP", your laptop becomes your router, and you can then network to anything in your car.

Downsides to this:

1. It is against every TOS from EVERY cell provider to do this

2. Your downstream usage would explode and eventually your provider (at and t) would drop you for overuse.

3. Your hotspot would be more of a luke warm one. Edge sucks for downloading, chopping that download up between two or three devices connected to your "network" won't make it any better.. just worse.

4. Unless you configure your laptap backbone and any device connected to it correctly you would run into issue when your cell phone lost edge connection (which can happen while standing still) and then tried to reconnect.

Buy a used Ipod on ebay for 100 bucks and be done with it.

sorry for the probably newbish question but i didnt rly understand what ur trying to do.... i think tho that ur tryin to get music and internet on ur laptop through ur car....couldnt you just get a wireless interenet thing for your laptop and then run the laptop thru the audio and video inputs on the deck and itd be what you were trying to accomplish??