AVIC411.com

Thanks, but the decision made and it ended up as No Thanks

Folks, I have never been able to make a more informed decision about a purchase and I'd like to thank everyone that posted info about these F Series units for that. I purchased the Kenwood DNX8120 and I'm real happy with it. It does however lack one HUGE thing and that is a Forum Site like this. It doesn't seem there is anywhere on the WEB that has a community of users for it like this. Wish there was.

I've been using the Kenwood Unit for about a week and it "Just Works". I have a whole bunch of questions about it though and nowhere really to ask them. Audio/Video is Great, NAV is Great, Bluetooth works as well as my Palm Treo will allow. The hack was easy and the XM features are fantastic. Have not tried an Ipod yet, don't have one - yet.

I would especially like to thank JasonH for having the knowledge and desire to start and keep a site like this going. I will say that if Pioneer gets their act together and makes a unit that works well, I would switch to them in a heartbeat just to be able to use THIS site for info about it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is exactly my point.................

There are only 3 pages in the "very lame" manual that are associated with XM control and it doesn't list that feature. If it does have it there's no way to find out until I stumble across it. The process for finding out any info from Kenwood is "clumsy" at best, non-existant at worst. If I manage to find it, I'll post the answer. Sounds like a cool feature.

If anyone out there has found a better way to find out any info, I sure would like to know about it.

If you get the Nav traffic GXM30 XM Radio tuner, the XM is done in a Garmin-like interface. You can do a memo like function with it. You can even compile your own list of favorite artists. When you go into your favorites list, then "Add favorites", and can scroll through the list of every song and artist currently on and just check them all off at once, or do just one at a time.

When one of your favorites comes on one of your preset channels, a little heart icon appears next to the number. If you hit the "Scan" button it will continue to play your current station until one of your list of favorites starts playing on another channel, it will then automatically switch to that channel.

Here's some pics:

2594029774_90012b6d2b.jpg

2593190551_ed40325052.jpg

2593190477_3df25bfb9e.jpg

2593190389_bec04535cc.jpg

2594029416_793309a5a0.jpg

2593190197_b6ac2ab1ec.jpg

I've been pondering setting up my own forum for Kenwoods. Just gotta find the time. DNXDomain anyone? I've been kicking the idea around. Just gotta figure out when and the best way to do it.

mikeinnj

If you're having trouble figuring out the best way to do it, just ask JasonH. He and his buddy with the Apple 411 site have a good thing going here. Maybe it could be DNX411 or Kenwood411 and be tied to this one somehow.

The biggest challenge is to get the word out so that it gets used and if it were tied to this one, this group would get the word out. I heard about AVIC411 at an eastern PA Tweeter store. If I hadn't heard about it I would have ended up with something I wasn't happy with.

BTW, thanks for the info about the GXM30. Another great piece of info from this site........

Thats the cool part about the GXM30 is that even though it appears to be just the antenna, the XM tuner is actually built right in to the thing. The GXM 30 is actually built by Garmin and plugs into the Mini USB port on the back of the Kenwood 7120/8120. Mind you, if you get the DNX5120, you can't use the GXM30 with it and you have to buy all sorts of adapters to get XM. Even then, the XM will go through the Kenwood interface, there will be no navtraffic, etc.

Don't get thrown off by the MSRP of the GXM30. I got mine from an ebay seller for about $155 shipped. Not too bad considering it does XM, traffic, and weather. It is very easy to add this to the setup too since there is no separate box that has to be hidden with power and ground leads that have to be wired. With this, just plug in the "antenna" to the back of the Kenwood and you're off to the races. Be warned though, its a bit large at about 3inches in diameter. It is best kept mounted inside of the vehicle.

x113GXM30T.jpeg

interesting info, but the dnx5220 also has a mini usb connector on the back.

i had my laptop connected to it and i could see the internal memory with the maps etc of the unit or run the WebUpdater when choosing Garmin...

interesting info, but the dnx5220 also has a mini usb connector on the back.

i had my laptop connected to it and i could see the internal memory with the maps etc of the unit or run the WebUpdater when choosing Garmin...

bitman

I sure would like to hear a lot more about that. What did it update? I did notice that the Garmin maps already have an update available but there is a sizable charge for doing it, I believe $139. From Garmin that is......

I'll have to hook my laptop to it and see what I can see.