AVIC411.com

New Avic Owner, install question.

Girlfriend gave me my early Birthday present today...an Avic Z-1. Not only that, but the production date on it? April 2006. Can't get much better than that...ok here goes the question for you do it yourselfers. I'm installing this thing on an 07 Avalanche, but theres a few install questions. If I do it myself, does it void my warranty? I got a 3 yr warranty with it as well. I plan on installing Sirius (I like it better than XM) on it as well with a tuner as well as the iPod adapter. Would I be better off taking it all to an installer and have them do it? Does the stock antenna fit directly into it or do I need to get a different antenna, as I've heard this is necessary. I've installed amps before, never a head unit so I'm a little scared of it, especially in an 07 truck. The Sirius thing throws me off as well. And one last thing, how easy are the backup cameras to install? Do you have to run a wire the length of the cab to it? Im confused about that as well...thanks to anyone who helps and am happy to be an official member.
[quote name="mystikarkitect"]Girlfriend gave me my early Birthday present today...an Avic Z-1. Not only that, but the production date on it? April 2006. Can't get much better than that...ok here goes the question for you do it yourselfers. [/quote]

Nice find... and a April 06 to boot! Guess I will be looking forward to an order from you. [url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flasher.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flasher.html[/url] :)

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]I'm installing this thing on an 07 Avalanche, but theres a few install questions. If I do it myself, does it void my warranty?[/quote]

No it does not. And I think that your 07 Avalanche might require a bose/onstar adapter.... I don't have any experiance with those, but I think you might need one of those.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"] I got a 3 yr warranty with it as well. I plan on installing Sirius (I like it better than XM) on it as well with a tuner as well as the iPod adapter. [/quote]

Sounds like a nice setup, I actually have the same thing. If you have steering wheel controls (which I think yours might) you will want a Pac Audio SWI-PS as well to save those.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]Would I be better off taking it all to an installer and have them do it? [/quote]

That does depend on your skill level, but if you have installed amps before, I think that those are somewhat complicated as well. At least if you do it right and run new power lines from the rear of the vehicle to the battery. A head unit is no different other than there are more connections (and in the case of the Z1, a ton more) and you have to take the dash apart (or a small section of it). If you can figure out the dash, the rest is not that hard, just take each connection one at a time.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]Does the stock antenna fit directly into it or do I need to get a different antenna, as I've heard this is necessary. [/quote]

Stock Am/FM antenna? I would think that at best it just goes right in, at worse you would need an adapter.
[url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-58EolZrXCOk/cgi-bin/autoinfo/InstallationGuide.asp?id=19686&t=1]http://www.crutchfield.com/S-58EolZrXCO ... =19686&t=1[/url]
The nav and sat radio will have antennas that need to be wired up and run to the roof.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]I've installed amps before, never a head unit so I'm a little scared of it, especially in an 07 truck. [/quote]

I know what you mean, but is it really any worse than a 05 truck? Just that you haven't had it that long and you don't want to mess it up. But remember no one (and I mean no one) cares about your vehicle more than you do. Some installers are really good, most are ok, some are really bad. I have seen the hack jobs that some have done and had to fix some as well. If you can figure out how to get the dash apart, then I would say go for it.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]The Sirius thing throws me off as well. And one last thing, [/quote]

It's really not that hard... it's a little module like 4 inch by 4 inch by 1 inch and plugs into the back of the radio. The hardest part is running the sat radio antenna up on top of the roof. It takes time and some body pannel removal or flexing (to tuck the wire under them) but it's really not that bad.

[quote name="mystikarkitect"]how easy are the backup cameras to install? Do you have to run a wire the length of the cab to it? Im confused about that as well...thanks to anyone who helps and am happy to be an official member.[/quote]

That was the hardest for me to install. I wanted it somewhere, but couldn't get the body pannels off that I wanted to and I ended up mounting mine somewhere else. The location works, but it wasn't my first choise. It's cool, but it was expensive, lost it's cool factor real quickly, and it was the most difficult thing to install (in my mind anyway). Yah, you need to run power, ground and the video signal back to the back.
Wow thanks a lot for the quick response Ducati. I will be placing an order for your circuit probably within the next 2 weeks or so, so I appreciate that. Something that I guess always scares me about HU installation is breaking the clips that hold everything together. I broke a few in my old truck, a 1996 GMC Sierra. I was able to install door speakers, an amp and subwoofers in that truck. I worry that if I pull something the wrong way, or if I attempt to pry a panel off that it will break and then Im stuck replacing a bezel or something. I've heard that there is more space now in the dash where you can run wires and store wires in the new 07 GM trucks (I plan on also running a remote wire and RCA cables from the HU and leave them tied up under the dash so that whenever Im ready to install my amp theyll be there waiting). I was just wondering why some warranties say that the warranty is void if the install is not done professionally. Maybe Ill psyche myself into it and spend a weekend doing the thing but who knows. One step at a time I guess...do you happen to know how good the ipod interface is with this thing? Ive heard its a little slow sometimes. Thanks again for the help!
JUST REMEBER. I HAD IT DONE PROFESS. NOTHING WAS HOOKED. THE GMSW, MIC, VSS WIRE, ILLUMINATION WIRE. NOTHING SO IF THEY DO IT MAKE SURE YOU LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BE LOOKING FOR BECAUSE FOR 300.00 ON UP FOR AN INSTALL I'D BE EXPECTING EVERYTHING TO WORK. ANYWAY I HOOKED THE REST UP FROM MY SAT RADIO TO CAM AND VSS , ILL WIRE IT'S NOT HARD. ACTUALLY UPSET BECAUSE IT'S NOT HARD.
[quote name="mystikarkitect"]Wdo you happen to know how good the ipod interface is with this thing? Ive heard its a little slow sometimes. Thanks again for the help![/quote]

Yah, I have it. It's not as fast as the ipod interface itself. Actually when it comes to using an ipod integrated into a car stereo, it's one of the best out there. It's just like using an ipod with a touch screen, but it's sluggish. If you have 1000's of artists and you want to find a specific one, you will be upset. But if you program some playlists ahead of time and you don't have too many, it's fine.
[quote name="mystikarkitect"]Wow thanks a lot for the quick response Ducati. I will be placing an order for your circuit probably within the next 2 weeks or so, so I appreciate that. Something that I guess always scares me about HU installation is breaking the clips that hold everything together. I broke a few in my old truck, a 1996 GMC Sierra. I was able to install door speakers, an amp and subwoofers in that truck. I worry that if I pull something the wrong way, or if I attempt to pry a panel off that it will break and then Im stuck replacing a bezel or something. I've heard that there is more space now in the dash where you can run wires and store wires in the new 07 GM trucks (I plan on also running a remote wire and RCA cables from the HU and leave them tied up under the dash so that whenever Im ready to install my amp theyll be there waiting). I was just wondering why some warranties say that the warranty is void if the install is not done professionally. Maybe Ill psyche myself into it and spend a weekend doing the thing but who knows. One step at a time I guess...do you happen to know how good the ipod interface is with this thing? Ive heard its a little slow sometimes. Thanks again for the help![/quote]
Yeah I went to some local car audio places today to get quotes on install prices...got quoted 450 dollars for Avic, Sirius, Ipod, Microphone and they also quoted me 180 dollars for the GM Onstar adapter. L O L. Anyway! I've been studying the installation manual religiously these last few days, and am looking to do it myself, the only thing that I dont quite understand are the reverse wire, parking brake wire and the pink speed input wire. Are these to be connected some distance away from the Avic? Since I will be ordering one of your flasher mods, I can just tape up the parking brake wire and leave it hanging right? Only thing is I dont really know where to find the speed and reverse sensor wires. Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it.