AVIC411.com

Map version update for z3?

I notice that there are some errors on the z3 maps that I have. Some are at least 2 years old. I'm happy that the I-15 exit numbers are correct :!: The D.O.T. changed the numbers by 2 a few years ago. Not everyone got the memo. :roll: Is there a version update for the maps? If not does anyone know if there will be one soon :?:

Thanks for all who put up with me. I'm a nubie at the AVIC. :oops:

• 3 weeks later...

If you rely on your GPS the way I do, you need to have a Garmin along for accuracy. Garmin uses the same mapping that Google Maps use which is Navteq instead of the cheaper TeleAtlas mapping used by Pioneer.

You can read much more about it at: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/07/navteq_vs_teleatlas_which_one.php

I'm on the road every day and have saved a lot of time by using my latest Garmin 780 (Garmin 250W before that). The big map on the Z3 is nice but for detail and getting there the fastest Garmin is the way to go. :? I just wish Garmin would finally come out with an in-dash unit so I can retire the Z3 altogether.

If you rely on your GPS the way I do, you need to have a Garmin along for accuracy. Garmin uses the same mapping that Google Maps use which is Navteq instead of the cheaper TeleAtlas mapping used by Pioneer.

You can read much more about it at: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2006/07/navteq_vs_teleatlas_which_one.php

I'm on the road every day and have saved a lot of time by using my latest Garmin 780 (Garmin 250W before that). The big map on the Z3 is nice but for detail and getting there the fastest Garmin is the way to go. :? I just wish Garmin would finally come out with an in-dash unit so I can retire the Z3 altogether.

It has nothing to do w/ TeleAtlas. There are other map search engines out there that use TeleAtlas and are up to date. The problem is that Pioneer takes too long to put out updates...By the time you get them they are years old.

It has nothing to do w/ TeleAtlas. There are other map search engines out there that use TeleAtlas and are up to date. The problem is that Pioneer takes too long to put out updates...By the time you get them they are years old.

No, it's Tele Atlas. I just had the latest TOM TOM (Tele Atlas) for a test run and it had the same errors and omissions that I find in the Z3 software. Also the same poor routing. Google maps (Navteq) is the bench mark when it comes to evaluating GPS mapping and routing.

What happened to my Tom Tom? It went back and was replaced with a Garmin 770 which hopefully will do a good job in the rental car in Europe. :? I've read however that Tele Atlas is better in Europe than it is in North America. Google Maps is excellent for Europe too so hopefully the Garmin will be as well. We'll see. :shock:

That GPS magazine link by Passat is a great find for in depth info.