AVIC411.com

CD-SR1 WIRELESS REMOTE

I am curious as to how the CD-SR1 wireless remote works....How does it communicate with the Z1? Do you need anything extra. Because the hookup I have now with my steering wheel remote doesn't work to well. Is it a plug & play type of remote? Or do I have to configure it to work with the Z1?

Thanx
I have the factory steering wheel controls that came with the factory radio. I've purchased the adapter that hooks into the Z1 and then gets programmed into my steering wheel controls. But that hasn't been working to well, so I thought I'd get the Pioneer wireless remote.
Just received my CD-SR1 remote today to use with my 3-day old Z1. It works incredibly well as far as I'm concerned. Don't have steering wheel controls in my '06 Explorer but was very surprised how well this one works.

First, it must use RF to talk to the Z1 because there is no IR transmitter that I can see and it is not line of sight to my Z1. There is nothing extra to hook up. I expected an IR receiver that wired into the remote input of the Z1 but the package came with nothing but the remote, the bracket, and two straps to hold it. In fact the only minor complaint I can find is that the straps make sliding the steering wheel through my hands a little uncomfortable when the straps hit.

I had a 2+ hour drive tonight and I kept playing with the remote the whole time. For $20 it can't be beat.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]That steering wheel remote is definately ir. The transmitter may be hidden, but if the z1's display is in direct sunlight you'll see it might not always respond to the remote. Well my d1 does anyway.[/quote]

Can't be IR in the Z1 unless Pioneer found a way to make light bend. There is absolutely no line of sight, and nothing to reflect off, where I have it mounted, and it works flawlessly, including in bright sun.

I'll try an experiment in the morning. I'll cover the Z1 completely with something opaque and see if the remote still works.
[quote name="marin8703"]oh just a small correction two my previous post, light can bend! :D anyone want to debate this? :D[/quote]

Yes, it can, but normally doesn't. No prisms or other refracting devices in my car. And there's nothing in the manual that came with mine on IR.