AVIC411.com

Avic D3 and iPhone 3G

What would be perfect is if someone built this as a female ipod connector to male ipod connector. So we could just attach it to the end of our ipod cable.

Bonus being it should work for anyone with factory ipod controls.

That's a good idea, but I've never seen any kind of cable with a female iPod connector on it. You could possibly modify an iPod dock. That might be inconvenient though, depending on where you keep your iPod in the car.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, an extension cable that has a female iPod connector on one side and a male on the other. If one were to modify such a cable and add a 5V voltage regulator inline, it could work with any and all iPod connectors, not just Pioneer.

A company ought to come out with such a thing, and who knows, one might. There wasn't a need for it till the 3G iPhone so that could be why such a thing didn't exist before.

Perhaps this thing can be taken apart and modified....

http://www.sendstation.com/us/products/dockextender/

Here's a cable itching to be modified:

http://www.cablejive.com/extendercable.html

Those would be perfect, and I think a voltage regulator like 7805 would be small enough to fit in even the first one, but damn those are expensive! More than $40 for an extension cable, yikes!

Check out my post here. http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107841#107841

I am in the process of making an adapter for the iPhone that will still allow the head unit to control the iPhone, and also CHARGE it. If all goes as planned, it will be an easy mod (not counting the research and then the building part), all you would do is plug the Pioneer interface cable into my adapter, either plug in or hard wire the 12v-5V power source, then plug the adapter into your iPhone.

I contacted a couple people at Pioneer, and they both had the same answer:

"Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

At this time Pioneer have no plan of modifying the iPod adaptor.

Any modification in the future will be up to Apple.

Thank You,

Pablo

Customer Service Representative"

"At the present time we have no plans to change the adaptor.

Thank You,

Clark"

Great to know that we have multiple people working on a solution dcarrington01.

IMHO, the best solution will:

-be easily removable so we can switch between iPhone and iPod

-consist of the fewest components (an extension ipod cable which has been repinned for usb power and had the voltage stepped down from 12V to 5V)

-allow for full audio, video, and menu integration with as many pioneer headunits possible

-no affect bluetooth integration

Hopefully we can get close to realizing all of these. I might give it a go myself.

-be easily removable so we can switch between iPhone and iPod

It wouldn't even need to be removable, all iPods 4G on up will charge via USB.

The 3G is the only one that wouldn't charge with the cable.

Although... an adapter could have a simple 78M05 or 7805 voltage regulator in it with the 5V going to USB and leave the 12V going to Firewire intact, it would be compatible with 3G iPod and the new iPhone.

That depends. I don't think we know if the iPhone is sensing the presence of voltage on the Firewire pin and displaying the message. Or if it's sensing the lack of voltage on the USB pin.

I think I also remember reading a forum post somewhere about previously unused pins being used or jumped for new generation apple devices. I will see if I can dig it up.

has anyone tried using the iphone dock in the car? i plan on buying the iphone 3g this next week (depending on availability). I've been planning on buying the iphone 3g dock and placing it in my center console where i currently have my iPod connection with my Avic. has anyone tried using the BTB200 with the iphone 3g dock to see if it can charge the iphone?

-KNemesis

• 2 weeks later...