AVIC411.com

Can the F900 play M4a directly?

It MIGHT... m4a is a format of AAC audio, right? If so, it's possible, looking at the spec sheet. Look at the specifications on page 188 in the manual. Anyway, It can't hurt to throw a couple on a disk, SD card, or USB stick and test it out.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Navigation/AVIC-F900BT_Operation_Manual.pdf

It does. Thats what the majority of the music on my SD card is formatted in. M4a @ various bitrates both CBR and VBR from 128 all the way up to 320.

It also doesn't seem to be picky about ID3 tag version since all of my stuff is 2.4. I just wish it could grab the album art from the file like the iPod.

Yes you can use an external USB hard drive. But you might want to test out the whole folder navigation system you have to use to see if you'd like going that direction by trying out a cheap USB thumb drive first before shelling out money for a large USB hard drive. On a drive that large with a ton of files on it it might take a lot of effort to find what you're looking for.

It does. Thats what the majority of the music on my SD card is formatted in. M4a @ various bitrates both CBR and VBR from 128 all the way up to 320.

It also doesn't seem to be picky about ID3 tag version since all of my stuff is 2.4. I just wish it could grab the album art from the file like the iPod.

hmm...funny...the m4a files i put on a disk didnt work at all...gave me an error of some sort...any specific way you burned the files?