AVIC411.com

Used N3 Noob Question

I tried doing some searches for this info but wasn't able to find anything; this could be due to a poor search string, or the more likely scenario is the problem exists somewhere between the keyboard and the chair... So if this is posted elsewhere my apologies for the duplicate post.

I purchased a used N3 off eBay that doesn't come with the DVD's. I have the unit installed and the radio works fine, however I'm asked to insert the proper disc for Navigation.

Another post gave great info on entering the system menu and that worked. I'm trying to use a burned CNDV-70MTP disc but it won't upgrade; I've seen some excellent posts on how to check the quality of the burn so I'm going to try those soon. If I can't figure those out there are some supposedly original DVDs on eBay that I can get cheap.

My question:

Is there a difference between DVD formats? For example, is there a 70MT and a 70MTP? I realize the upgrades are just for the maps and that's fine, I'm just trying to get my head around performing the update. I checked my version info and here's what I found:

BOOT: 2.04

SYSTEM OS: 2.04

GPS: 4.0

APPLICATION: 2.110700

LANGUAGE: 2.000075

SOUND: 1.0000

SYSCON: 8.01

DRIVE CORE: 38.00

DRIVE APL: 8.23

I presume the GPS is the map version, which means I've got the 40 version? I'm mostly curious about the Application setting and whether or not this needs to be upgraded, etc.

Thanks in advance...

Following the burn instructions worked this time so my DVD loaded.

My only problem now is most of the options are grayed out which makes me think the grounding for my parking brake isn't registering and the VSS and reverse sensors aren't working.

I'm using a GMOS-LAN-01 device; previous posts told me with this I shouldn't need to hard wire the speed sensor or the reverse sensor...

Back to the drawing board!

I've got a working unit now, however the bypass doesn't seem to be working. In the back of my Head Unit cavity there is a bolt with a washer secured to the firewall of the car; if I ground my wires to this bolt is this a sufficient ground? If not, what's a good place to look on a 2006 Impala?

If so, is that switch I've heard people talk about needed to complete the bypass if I'm using the CNDV-70MTP discs? I think I remember reading something about that but don't remember.

Thanks for the views, I'd certainly appreciate it if I could get an answer too... lol.

I've got a working unit now, however the bypass doesn't seem to be working. In the back of my Head Unit cavity there is a bolt with a washer secured to the firewall of the car; if I ground my wires to this bolt is this a sufficient ground? If not, what's a good place to look on a 2006 Impala?

If so, is that switch I've heard people talk about needed to complete the bypass if I'm using the CNDV-70MTP discs? I think I remember reading something about that but don't remember.

Thanks for the views, I'd certainly appreciate it if I could get an answer too... lol.

hi there. The bypass is so you (or your passenger) can use certain functions while driving. It has nothing to do with which disc you use.

The parking brake wire on the must be grounded to use these functions. You can either run the wire to the parking brake signal wire or ground it to the car body. On the N3 there is a switch that needs to be thrown in order to use the unit while driving, but it will still work while parked.

You will get an error message if you try to drive while the wire is grounded, so it's better to have it spliced to the brake signal wire unless you throw that little switch.

regards

~Marc

Marc,

Thanks for the reply! I've got the wire grounded to a bolt in the back of my head unit cavity that bolts to the firewall; I don't know if the firewall is an adequate ground or not however. I'll try to find the wire you'd mentioned as an alternative.

I read this post from another forum:

yes, use a small paperclip. bend the end of the paperclip in an L shape, but the bent portiononly needs to be a few mm in length. Then insert it through the hole next to the sticker and feel for a switch. It will move side to side and you will feel it when it swithes. Then all you have to do is put a switch on the parking brake lead and just flip the switch to make it think the parking brake is on at all times. Reason you have to flip the switch is because the navi will tell the unit that you are moving. The switch puts it in display/demo mode. Of course you still have to put a switch in so that you can bypass the extra precaution they made. Hope that helps, if it isn't too late and you peeled the sticker back.

The section in bold is what I'm curious about, do I need to install a toggle switch between the green wire and the ground wire to get this to work? I'm not sure what this "extra precaution' is they're talking about.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Marc,

Thanks for the reply! I've got the wire grounded to a bolt in the back of my head unit cavity that bolts to the firewall; I don't know if the firewall is an adequate ground or not however. I'll try to find the wire you'd mentioned as an alternative.

I read this post from another forum:

yes, use a small paperclip. bend the end of the paperclip in an L shape, but the bent portiononly needs to be a few mm in length. Then insert it through the hole next to the sticker and feel for a switch. It will move side to side and you will feel it when it swithes. Then all you have to do is put a switch on the parking brake lead and just flip the switch to make it think the parking brake is on at all times. Reason you have to flip the switch is because the navi will tell the unit that you are moving. The switch puts it in display/demo mode. Of course you still have to put a switch in so that you can bypass the extra precaution they made. Hope that helps, if it isn't too late and you peeled the sticker back.

The section in bold is what I'm curious about, do I need to install a toggle switch between the green wire and the ground wire to get this to work? I'm not sure what this "extra precaution' is they're talking about.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

I haven't yet bypassed my N3 as I'm still working out issues that arose after I put it in for service, but my understanding is that you need to ground the parking brake wire, and throw the switch in the head unit. You won't have the parking brake switch hooked to that wire. If it were hooked up, the parking brake would appear to always be engaged.

It sounds like yo have a good ground, but you can test it with an volt meter. If you can measure voltage (12v) with one lead on a "hot" wire and the other meter lead on your ground, it's grounded.

regards

~Marc

Don't you just connect the black wire to the factory harness black wire.

I'd thought about that too; I've got experience installing head units, just not nav units; a buddy of mine with the same experience thought grounding to the car's ground wire ran the chance of doing damage to the car's electronics or something similar if done wrong, however I would presume the same possibility exists with the other wiring so the ground itself shouldn't be that much more of a threat, eh?

if u already have the parking brake grounded in the harness, then all u should have to do is flip the switch under the warranty sticker w/ the paperclip like in the quoted post. u shouldnt have to worry about wiring in a switch to flip off and on w/ the ground

if u already have the parking brake grounded in the harness, then all u should have to do is flip the switch under the warranty sticker w/ the paperclip like in the quoted post. u shouldnt have to worry about wiring in a switch to flip off and on w/ the ground

Okay that's what I thought. As I bought the N3 used, the previous owner had done some odd modifications, (joined the red wire to the yellow wire)?

Currently the N3 wiring harness' light green wire is connected to a black wire; the black wire is joined to my other black ground wires, which are grounded to a bolt in the back of my head unit cavity; the bolt is "bolted" to the firewall. I'll check the connection and if that doesn't work I'll take some pictures and see if anyone can see anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks!

As long as the unit is not cutting on and off then it is grounded properly. If it cuts on and off for awhile it will eventually fry parts of the unit.

I just got mine and it had connectors on the red and yellow wires obviously feeding other devices which I hope doesn't reduce the life of it.

As long as the unit is not cutting on and off then it is grounded properly. If it cuts on and off for awhile it will eventually fry parts of the unit.

I just got mine and it had connectors on the red and yellow wires obviously feeding other devices which I hope doesn't reduce the life of it.

It is definitely not cutting on and off so I'll guess I'm grounded properly. I'll do a search and find that picture of the switch on the bottom of the N3 to see if I moved it correctly.

I took out my head unit and my switch on the bottom was definitely set for bypass. I looked and noticed my ground wire had come loose from the bolt, so I pulled the unit fully, spliced the ground wires together, then fastened them back to the bolt.

Turning the car back on, the display pops out but I get no picture. I noticed the illumination wire was off so I hooked that back up and still nothing. I'll search the forums for "no display" but if someone knows off the top of their head an answer is appreciated!

I took out my head unit and my switch on the bottom was definitely set for bypass. I looked and noticed my ground wire had come loose from the bolt, so I pulled the unit fully, spliced the ground wires together, then fastened them back to the bolt.

Turning the car back on, the display pops out but I get no picture. I noticed the illumination wire was off so I hooked that back up and still nothing. I'll search the forums for "no display" but if someone knows off the top of their head an answer is appreciated!

Check your plugs on the HU. If they are loose or not fully engaged, that may be the problem.

regards

~Marc

Check your plugs on the HU. If they are loose or not fully engaged, that may be the problem.

regards

~Marc

Checked the cables and everything looks okay, I may try the disconnecting the battery trick just in case. If that doesn't fix it I may suspect the flex cable, although that seems awfully coincidental that the cable would break without some sort of abuse.

On the off chance this IS the flex cable issue, do you know if Pioneer warranties the cable in the AVIC-N3? The support page only states the N2. Also if I send it in for the flex cable fix without the silver sticker, (mine came without it), will they send it back without fixing it?

Thanks,