AVIC411.com

Resolved Issues

Do these start up times to hearing music vary by source (i.e. ipod, xm, fm etc)?

In my experience, yes. XM comes on very fast - within 15 seconds. SD card takes at least a minute. Ipod is relatively fast as well.

Now keep in mind though the music comes on fast, you cant change it till its done loading, which is about 2 minutes.

Do these start up times to hearing music vary by source (i.e. ipod, xm, fm etc)?

In my experience, yes. XM comes on very fast - within 15 seconds. SD card takes at least a minute. Ipod is relatively fast as well.

Now keep in mind though the music comes on fast, you cant change it till its done loading, which is about 2 minutes.

Any source connected to AV1 starts almost immediately, I do like that.

For things like XM, HD radio, AV1 input, and anything else, while you can't control it once it starts playing you can at least control the volume.

For things like XM, HD radio, AV1 input, and anything else, while you can't control it once it starts playing you can at least control the volume.

The SD Card is the slow one for me loading up, and its the one I use most, unfortunatly.

Now, it could be because I have a 16Gb card with 6 GB of data on it.... does anyone else have this issue?

I will try a 1GB for a while to see if my problems improve... that is if I still have it after this weekend. I find its dangerous for me to keep fiddling with it while driving. I am too anal to deal with the quirks.

• 5 weeks later...

I had purchased the JVC KW-NX7000 unit. GPS navigation is the most important part of the unit for me. So I returned it immediately when a JVC supervisor confirmed that the unit does NOT have "dead reckoning" capabilities.

When there is a loss of GPS signal (driving through a tunnel or surrounded by tall buildings), dead reckoning employs the use of an internal gyroscope and a connection to the vehicle's speed sensor in order to keep the vehicle pin-pointed on the map. This significantly improves accuracy. The gyroscope tells the unit what direction you're heading and if you're turning, and the speed sensor connection of course tells the unit how fast you're traveling.

$200 windshield mount units do not have dead reckoning capabilities. All factory units, and many aftermarket in-dash units, have dead reckoning. Sadly, the KW-NX7000 nav capabilities are no better than your average $200 windshield-mount unit.

Now I am considering Pioneer's AVIC-F900BT. This unit does indeed have 'dead reckoning'. But I'm still not sure I want to wait 2 minutes everytime I turn the ignition!

I am reading that there are varying boot-up times depending on your preferences. Can someone out there time how long it takes to boot up after ignition with JUST the radio or CD music as the default (no SD card in the slot, no Ipod connection at all, no Satellite radio, no backup cam)?

Under the above scenario, can someone tell me exactly how many seconds after turning the key before you hear music AND can control it-- ability to either change radio stations, or change the CD track?

Before I purchase, I also need to know exactly how many seconds elapse after I turn the ignition before I can fully use the GPS navigation (enter a destination and get going).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't have any of those external things. I use AM/FM, bluetooth, and navigation, but no other features of the device.

I hear the radio very quickly (<5 seconds) after putting my key in the ignition, and can control the volume of it at the same time. But you can't change the station.

It takes 45 seconds before the system even offers any functions on the touch-screen (the only way to actually control anything), and even at that point, it's still pretty sluggish because boot-up activities are going on in the background. But you can't really tell when those finish, I can just say after a couple of minutes the system is noticeably snappier than it is right after the screen comes alive.

It takes about 90 seconds, BTW, for the phone to connect via bluetooth (1st-gen iPhone).

Thanks GDGR for the helpful information.

So, 5 seconds to hear radio or CD, but without ability to change station or track. Would you say it also takes the same 45 seconds before you can control the music (after getting icons)?

By the way, is that silver knob on the left just a joystick? Or can you spin it for volume control too?

Yes, it's 45 seconds from boot to do anything other than volume. The system will work, but is sluggish, at that point, for at least another minute.

The phone connects in another 45 seconds.

The knob is a joystick, a button, and a volume knob, all in a single control.