AVIC411.com

Day/Night Photocell Switch...

Gnat, have you seen the newest available hacks? for sure the F series can be considered an upgrade now lol

*Key beeps can be removed

*Annoying boxes on the map screen can be removed

*clock color can be changed

also according to one european owner, the european version of the 2nd update has been released and the boot time is now about 30 second to full boot

That's all pretty cool, I really like the configurable clock color/size. However, the F-series still has some problems, some that might not ever be fixed:

• [*:1vr7xb6j] Z-has bright 7" LCD viewable in all lighting conditions vs. 5.8" LCD that is barely visible in daytime.
    [*:1vr7xb6j] 20-30 seconds before sound can be heard. Z-series plays sound immediately, at least iPod and radio, not sure about CD.
    [*:1vr7xb6j] Very slow boot time.
    [*:1vr7xb6j] No "pointer always up" on 2D map display.

Also, the Z-series key beeps can be removed via settings and there are no annoying boxes on the map screens. :)

Probably worst thing to me is the screen. I need a nice big one for viewing movies and TV shows on my lunch break. Too bad there's no US version of the AVIC-ZH9000. :(

• 3 weeks later...

If the instrument panel only comes on at night, just tap into an instrument panel wire as someone else mentioned earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if there's one on the factory radio connector.

A photocell by itself won't do anything as it's just a variable resistor. It needs additional circuitry. Easiest way if you want to go that route is get an automatic headlight kit and use it to just control the illumination on the HU.