AVIC411.com

GPS addon for Pioneer AVH-P6600?

I currently own a 6600. However, I am in need of GPS and presently am considering upgrading to the N3.

One of the major setbacks at this time for me is that with the N3 everytime I want to watch dvd I have to take GPS DVD out, and put DVD movie in... and wise versa.

Few questions

1) With the N3, is there a way to buy an addon unit that stores the gps dvds and leaves the in-dash slot free to use for music/or dvds?

2) Is there an addon with the latest maps (v60) that is compatible with Pioneer AVH-P6600 ?

Thanks
You can always leave the Nav disc in, and buy an AVOX Media Jukebox as your addon to store DVDs and such. I bought one, based on the recommendations from other members on this site, and I love it! I bought mine with a 120GB harddrive, and rip DVD's right to them, as well as Divx, MP3s, photos, etc, it plays them all. I dont even need to change discs to watch different movies on my 22+hour drives to florida, its all stored on the one "mini tivo"!
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]
2. Yes It's either the avic 90 or the avic 88. Don't remember for sure.[/quote]

AVIC-9DVD and AVIC-90DVD will give you navi as well as another DVD player. The same slot can use both navi DVD's as well as DVD-Video.

AVIC-80DVD and AVIC-88DVD will give you navi only, its DVD drive is strictly a DVD-ROM.

They are all essentially the same with the only difference being software updates.

From what I've read, when paired with a Pioneer touchscreen HU and the latest software, the navi features are very nicely integrated.
Thank you for that!

How can I get software updates i.e: if I get the AVIC-80 or AVIC-88DVD?

Can I just put in the latest GPS maps and it will update it.. or??

[quote name="GnatGoSplat"] [quote name="cntrylvr79"]
2. Yes It's either the avic 90 or the avic 88. Don't remember for sure.[/quote]

AVIC-9DVD and AVIC-90DVD will give you navi as well as another DVD player. The same slot can use both navi DVD's as well as DVD-Video.

AVIC-80DVD and AVIC-88DVD will give you navi only, its DVD drive is strictly a DVD-ROM.

They are all essentially the same with the only difference being software updates.

From what I've read, when paired with a Pioneer touchscreen HU and the latest software, the navi features are very nicely integrated.[/quote]
You can get updates from Pioneer. Sometimes you can find them on torrents as well.

The AVIC-9DVD, 90DVD, 80DVD, and 88DVD are compatible with the 2005 update discs, CNDV-50MTP that you can buy from Pioneer. I'm curious whether the CNDV-50MT discs that come with the AVIC-D1 will work with it (I have an AVIC-9DVD on the way and will try it).

I don't think they're compatible with the 2006 update discs for some reason. Someone on here has tried and said he got the message "Wrong disc". I'll give it a shot when I get my 9DVD. If it turns out the CNDV-60 discs are incompatible, it's possible to make a hybrid disc with program code from the older disc and maps from the newer disc though. You'll need a PC, DVD burner, and blank DVD-DL disc to do that.
The CNDV50 disks will work in the standalone navigation. The CNDV60 will not

[quote name="GnatGoSplat"]You can get updates from Pioneer. Sometimes you can find them on torrents as well.

The AVIC-9DVD, 90DVD, 80DVD, and 88DVD are compatible with the 2005 update discs, CNDV-50MTP that you can buy from Pioneer. I'm curious whether the CNDV-50MT discs that come with the AVIC-D1 will work with it (I have an AVIC-9DVD on the way and will try it).

I don't think they're compatible with the 2006 update discs for some reason. Someone on here has tried and said he got the message "Wrong disc". I'll give it a shot when I get my 9DVD. If it turns out the CNDV-60 discs are incompatible, it's possible to make a hybrid disc with program code from the older disc and maps from the newer disc though. You'll need a PC, DVD burner, and blank DVD-DL disc to do that.[/quote]
  • 5 months later...
I have a similar question. I am purchasing the avh 6800 and also want to integrate nav. Since this model has in-dash 6 disc dvd capability I would not need the extra dvd capability of the avic 9 or 90 but I am very interested in the avic 80/88. Would these units work with the 6800? Also which is better or more current, the 80 or the 88?