AVIC411.com

Sorting Music from SD

Hi everyone, I'm looking at an F700BT and have a few questions for a few features that are important to me. I have searched and found bits and pieces but no complete answers.

I plan on putting all of my music on an SD card and playing from there. I would like to know what search/sort/play options I would have from the SD card.

Can I view the music sorted by Album/Artist/Genre?

Can I search for music?

(All of my songs have their appropriate ID3 tag data embedded.)

I know all of these options are available when using an Ipod, but I don't have nor plan to use an Ipod.

Thanks in advance

~Joel~

You won't have the ability to sort the files bu genre, artist, album, etc. You will need to create a file system to sort the music so you can find things easier. Like make subfolders for genres, then inside those genres, make subfolders for artists...

Check out the link: http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110246#110246

Hmm... that might be a deal breaker for me. I would have to reorganize some 2000 songs just so I can find them on the F series.

Music via SD/USB was one of my main reasons for buying an F series.

Can anyone suggest a comparible alternative that would let me sort by Album/Artist/Genre from SD/USB?

Thanks for the info HiFiSi.

That's the first thing I would suggest. The ipod combined with the F-series is pretty much perfection.

But if that's not an option, there are programs out there that will re-organize your music library for you with folders and subfolders and the like based in their ID3 tag information. If I recall correctly, you might even be able to do it with Windows Media Player if you go to the Settings menu and go to the library tab.

(Begin rant) Well, I'm anti-ipod. I have a Sandisk Sansa running Rockbox (open-source firmware). It runs circles around an ipod, and it's 1/4 the price. (end rant)

But if there's software out there that can do the organizing for me, it wouldn't be too bad. I'll look into Windows Media Player and go from there.

Thanks

(Begin rant) Well, I'm anti-ipod. I have a Sandisk Sansa running Rockbox (open-source firmware). It runs circles around an ipod, and it's 1/4 the price. (end rant)

Me too. re Ipods. I've got Rockbox running on an IRiver H340 and I want to be able to use the voice controls on a USB storage stick/device (not an Ipod or Iriver) but you can only do things like "next song", "next album" with non-Ipod devices, and that requires you to push a button before speaking, which kind of defeats the purpose. Looking for something out there that has that kind of control with non-Ipod devices but there doesn't seem to be anything.

Me too. re Ipods. I've got Rockbox running on an IRiver H340 and I want to be able to use the voice controls on a USB storage stick/device (not an Ipod or Iriver) but you can only do things like "next song", "next album" with non-Ipod devices, and that requires you to push a button before speaking, which kind of defeats the purpose. Looking for something out there that has that kind of control with non-Ipod devices but there doesn't seem to be anything.

I know how you feel. As far as 95% of the aftermarket is concerned, the ipod is the only mp3 player out there. It's very difficult to find support for any other devices. Present company included (F Series). Which is why I'm looking for a way to work around the problem by using an SD card or usb flash drive.

I have 5 gigs of songs on the SD card in my Treo 700p phone.....and popped it out and into a demo unit F700BT at Circuit City.

It took me a few minutes to figure out the folder navigation buttons on the screen I got the hang of it pretty quickly......as far as I can tell it only sorts alphabetically by album name....essentially just like searching for a song by album name on a computer using Windows Explorer.

I didn't see any search utility or ability to organize by artist, genre, and I found it pretty easy to find a few songs...but I only looked for one or two songs.

I might have been feeling a little "giddy" that the Treo connected at all for phone use....which was my first goal. I've already given up an Ipod for the SD card in my Treo phone...and I was even more excited at the prospect of just burning another SD card and not having to worry about a hard wire or streaming A2DP Bluetooth from the Treo (also problematic).

Usually I just find an album and start playing it or I could make a separate folder for a playlists I like using my computer...much easier on the computer anyway.

Living with the F700BT every day and working with 5 gigs of songs, my expectations might get more demanding guickly. It's easy to get used to new technology very quickly and then want it to be even better. After all....why doesn't the thing work like a "car-puter" anyway....internet access would also be nice....but I have that on my phone already.....think I need to take a cold shower.....and get over myself......

Let's go retro......how's the radio reception...

I would hope the album, artist, genre, thing will be an easy addition to software in Pioneer upgrade.

Warren C.

As for radio reception... it's about as good as you can get. The "supertuner" that Pioneer has been using in it's models since god knows when is one of the best radio tuners on the market and has been for some time. IIRC, it's one quite a few awards for being a really, really good tuner. Not the tuner in the F-series precisely, but the technology used in Pioneer's tuners in general.