AVIC411.com

No power on my Z2 -- this one's a doozy!

I recently installed my Pioneer-reconditioned Z2 in my 2009 Toyota Matrix S. Installed XM, iPod and Bluetooth as well. All was fine.

Today I performed "bypass surgery," as it were. For a time, it worked great. I managed to play a DVD with the parking brake disengaged and the car in reverse.

Then the trouble started. Before I set it back in, I tested it and saw that everything worked. Then I bolted it back and put the trim on, turned the car on, and got no power. Not even the black starting screen.

For the past 3 hours, I've been quadruple- and quintuple-checking my connections, and everything seems okay. Ground wires are indeed grounded. Red wire gets 12 volts, according to my multimeter. Fuses look okay.

Two things, though:

- The yellow wire does not get 12 volts. It usually flutters around 0.5, even when the car's on. (I have no idea -- how much voltage is it supposed to get?)

- Out of curiosity, I plugged my factory radio back in, and it didn't turn on.

So, I don't think my problem lies in my wires or harness. What am I missing? Did I sever a wire behind the harness? Should I pop the factory radio back in and go to my Toyota dealer with my tail between my legs for some free warranty work? Any help would be much appreciated, and many thanks in advance.

Thew yellow wire should be 12V+

Start troubleshooting that.

I say one this week that did not have power to the yellow, and it was the connector that plugged into the factory harness. The pin was pulled loose in the factory hanress.

You should also check the fuse for the radio (in line fuse, and the one in the fuse box).

Thew yellow wire should be 12V+

Start troubleshooting that.

I say one this week that did not have power to the yellow, and it was the connector that plugged into the factory harness. The pin was pulled loose in the factory hanress.

You should also check the fuse for the radio (in line fuse, and the one in the fuse box).

Do you think it's a problem with one of the car's connectors? I can't think of any other reason that both the Z2 and the factory radio don't power up.

The Toyota wire that connects to the yellow wire on my Crutchfield harness is light blue. The pin looks okay, but I can't be sure.

The fuse on the yellow wire looks intact to me. Unless there's something that could be wrong with it even when the fuse isn't separated.

The fuse under the hood for the audio system looks fine too.

Is there a fuse inside the Z2 that I don't know about?

There are no changable fuses in the Z2. You need to check the factory wire for 12v+ (you said it was light blue). If you do not have 12V + there, then the problem is in the car wiring (ie fuse). Check your owners manual for the car, and track down the radio fuse. You may want to check other fuses as well. This is most likely your issue.

also check to see if your domelight is still working. a lot of cars have the constant 12v wire for the radio tied in with the doors. the fuse labeled "radio" is usually for the accessory wire at the radio, not the 12v constant (yellow wire). also, check the fuses with your multimeter to make sure that power is or isnt going through the fuse. sometimes its difficult to see if there is a break or not.

Garrett and offroader,

Thanks for your replies. Turns out I missed a fuse. I'm no electrician, but I know the difference between one piece and two!

Just got back from the hardware store, popped the new fuse in, and we're up and running.

Gotta say, curing a car problem for $2.79 is a fine feeling.

Thanks again to both of you.

I did the same thing in my jeep thought I smoked my new HU. did the same trace back procedure, found there are 2 fuses in my kick panel to replace for radio.... one was blown one was not. also might want to try to locate where you shorted the yellow wire (causing the fuse to blow) make sure you dont have any exposed wire that might cause a fire later.