AVIC411.com

Z3 microphone location

Hi all

Need some advice with regards to the microphone location for my Bluetooth. I have the AVIC Z2 (with Z3 image) installed in my 06 Sonata.

Some people are complaining that there is an echo with the unit, I have found that just turning down the volume solves that issue but my major concern is that quite a few people complain that I sound so far away.

I have tried moving the mic, but does not seem to help much. If I move right up to the mic to talk, then it sounds ok.

I was just wondering if it is normal for it to sound like one is far away from the mic, or if perhaps my mic is just not all that good….

Can someone also let me know where they have placed their mic’s or if they have run into similar situations.

Thanks

My mic is clipped onto the edge of the headliner above the rearview mirror. My wife says she can hear me fine, but I do sound a little distant. No echo, however, so that's good. I think it's normal depending on where you put the mic. I just chose that spot because the factory navigation radios for my body style vehicle puts the mic very near that spot.

I can't seem to find a good spot. I first tried placing the mic in the corner where the headliner and the windshield meet on the drivers side. Then after a few complaints from friends, moved it to the sun visor. It sticks out just in front of the sun visor which is pretty close to my head and still people say there is no change. The weird thing is that some people say it is good and clear and others say it sounds like I am in a tunnel and far away.

Another problem I have is when on the freeway, there is a lot of noise when doing 65 so I have to turn the volume up but then they complain that there is a slight echo. I wonder if perhaps I should go with another mic, maybe one that is more directional (if there is such a thing) so that it only picks up sound directly in front of it.

• 2 weeks later...