AVIC411.com

Bypass problem

I recently had a D2 installed. The parking brake bypass worked. Meaning that the car thinks the parking brake is activated although it is not.

However, once the car is put in motion, all the Nav options go grey, or whatever it is; they are useless.

Does this mean that the unit senses its in motion and stops those options?

The shop is under the impression that because I got the unit online, it may have been upgraded and the bypass no longer works.

What's my problem?

Okay, so I did some research on this site. I was surprised to think that the shop that did the install did this incorrectly or incompletely as they had installed two prior navis in my car with the bypass (N1 and D1 - both eventually stolen). Anyway, I'm under the impression after reading this threads: that they didn't ground the empty plug. So I'm going to try to do this myself and I'm scared since I'm afraid I won't be able to put this thing back together properly or mess something up while doing it.

But is all I have to do is buy a piece of wire from Radio Shack or something and then strip the end and plug it into the open hole and strip the other end and put them under a screw or something? I mean how do I ground that exactly? Also, I read that you can take another wire or something instead of getting any wire but I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong wire or something.

But is all I have to do is buy a piece of wire from Radio Shack or something and then strip the end and plug it into the open hole and strip the other end and put them under a screw or something? I mean how do I ground that exactly? Also, I read that you can take another wire or something instead of getting any wire but I'm afraid I'll pick the wrong wire or something.

You can use any wire on any of the 3 harnesses, as long as you're not using it. If you don't have an aftermarket blueooth unit, find the black and yellow wire on connector 1. And removing it is fairly easy, you simply list the plastic tab holding the wire in with a small sharp object (i use a pocket knife) and you push it in the new spot. then ground.

Okay thanks. I am not using any bluetooth. So, will this wire be not connecting to anything currently and I take the end that is in a hole and move it to the empty slot and then take the opposite end and do what with it? Like what exactly does it mean to ground it? Do I wrap it around a screw and then tighten the screw? Where is the screw? Is it one of the ones in the bracket that is holding up the HU?

grounding is tapping into a negative wire or tapping into bare metal. All you have to do is move the wire to the new spot and then take that wire and the parking brake wire, and tap into the black ground wire on the main harness.

Okay cool. Now I don't even know which harness is which. I don't know which is the main one. They clearly did the e-brake ground since it says that it's on and the options are available even when the brake is off, while the car is not in motion. So, they must have tapped the e-brake wire into the black ground wire. So I just find that black ground wire and tap the "new wire" into that black ground wire?

So all I need is to get some quick tap things?

Okay, I got to the point where I was going to tap the one wire into the ground wire but what I see in the main harness are TWO black wires. Both are large and one on top of the other. They both go together with the battery wire into some black box thing.

Which black wire do I splice the "new" wire into?

I'll take a picture to show you.

Compare to this picture:

avic_d2_harness_bypass_251.jpg

Where I'm assuming the "place wire here" hole is directly above the ground wire? Is that right? So that you plug the wire into the empty slot and then splice to the wire DIRECTLY below it as that is ground.

In my harness the wire DIRECTLY next to that black wire is also black. That's not normal?

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7998&highlight=bypass

I know it says D3 but it;s the same method used for the D2

I can't see where the parking brake line is directly grounded to the black wire. But I know that when the car is NOT in motion and the parking brake is OFF, it will read that it is on. So that makes me think the parking brake is taken care of.

Should I just chance it and splice the "new" wire into the big black wire that's underneath it and hope that it works?

Okay, I pulled a spare "mute" wire from another pioneer harness that I had. I cut the end off and spliced it to the parking brake wire and plugged the other end into the open hole but that did not fix it. At a crawl the car did not detect movement but after I hate about 5-10 MPH, the options became unavailable again.

I'm at a loss now.