AVIC411.com

Does anyones caller ID/text ID work?

I have all of my contacts added to my F700 and correctly tagged (home, mobile, work). But whenever someone calls it shows "unknown" and the number. The same thing for text messages. It says I have a new message from "unknown".

I thought it might have been because my phone adds a 1 to all received numbers.

Example: 1(813)123-4567

So I edited my phonebook and added 1 to all numbers. No dice. Still shows unknown.

So I edited again and removed the 1 from all of my numbers. Same result.

So I was wondering if it was just me. Does anyone else's caller id and/or text id work correctly?

This may be network-specific, but I've programmed all my numbers using the "correct" GSM notation (at least, correct as far as I understand it).

All my numbers are saved like this:

+12125051212

The +1 is for north america, then the 3-digit area code, then the 7-digit number. It automatically knows whether a call is long distance or not based on whether I'm at home or roaming or whatever.

And more importantly - when I get incoming calls, they are identified to the matching entry in my contacts database on the F700.

Hmm, sounds like I'm going to have to pull my contact database off and manually edit them then, because Apple automatically corrects numbers so they look pretty; (541) 123-4567.

And what's this about text message alerts on the F-Series? I don't get any of those.

ugh... no such luck. I added a plus sign to all of my numbers and I still get "new mail from: unknown" on text messages. But I have the full number saved on my phone, and the ID shows correctly there.

I haven't tested caller id yet, but I'm not holding my breath.

Phone: Moto Krzr K1

Service: T-Mobile

and Superjet, I don't write while driving. But I do read at stops. :twisted:

Skicrave, it might be the communication between the F series and your phone. But it should tell you you have a message. Samantha says "You have got a message". <--I'd like to know who programmed her grammar, because that's not proper English. :roll:

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. I transferred my contacts, then I edited the phonebook using SQLite. All the numbers are formatted 12345678910. I will try adding a + to the front, and let you know if it works, but it is disappointing.

Sorry no solution, but at least you know you are not alone. My phone is an ATT RAZR V3xx, perhaps it is an ATT or Motorola problem, but I think it is an F problem.

- dan

Thanks!

So I tried that and thought it worked, but on further testing, no luck, So I did some playing. Here is what I discovered...

First...

I edited the database and put in my home number in a bunch of different formats (dashes, parenthesis, no leading '1', etc).

Then...

When I called my cell phone from my home phone, the number recognized was with no leading '1'. and i got caller ID on that. But when I tried from my wife's cell phone, no luck. The numbers that came in on the received call list were my home number with no leading '1', and then my wife's cell with a leading '+1'.

So I am guessing that cell numbers come in as '+1xxxxx' and land phones come in just 'xxxxxx', so if the F Series is only looking for EXACT matches, then I need to edit my DB that way. The only question is what will a long distance land phone come in as? Leading '1' or no leading '1'? I will try this and post the results. I'll need a few days to get a decent number of calls to come in.

Another question problem.

When I edit my DB, all the numbers I edited are now out of order in the F Series Contacts. This is bizzare. It looks like the F Series doesn't like my edit, or doesn't re-sort. This is despite the contacts being in the correct alphabetical order in the DB. Anyone else experience this?

- dan