AVIC411.com

want to buy f700 - questions about divx/xvid, usb and ipod..

Hi – I was considering buying the f700bt for my 2001 x5 and I cannot seem to find the info i need – hopefully one of you can help me:

Can it play divx/xvids from a usb jump drive? If not, is this a hackable feature?

I noticed on the pioneer website that it can play an ipod through the usb. If so, then what is the purpose of the additional ipod connect cable? Can it play your ipod videos through the usb or do you require the connect cable for this?

thanks in advance for any feedback...

USB/SD card - mpeg/mp4/wmv

DVD drive - divx(avi)

For ipod, the USB port is used for charging and control of the ipod only... the audio and video signal is sent through and RCA cord. You need the pioneer cable which has both a USB port AND audio/video outputs that hook up to the AV1 RCA inputs. Apple also makes a cable that you can use that has all the same connectors. They both cost around $50.

No, it won't play them. And there are no mods/hacks to change that at the moment. Who knows what people will find to do in the future, though. But for now, you will have to convert them, no matter if you want to play them off od an SD card, USB stick, or ipod.

No, it won't play them. And there are no mods/hacks to change that at the moment. Who knows what people will find to do in the future, though. But for now, you will have to convert them, no matter if you want to play them off od an SD card, USB stick, or ipod.

well is the ability to play DVD's a software fix or does a new drive have to be installed in the unit?

i would definitely imagine that you would have to put a new drive in.

think of it this way... why would pioneer go to the cost of putting a DVD drive in but disabling the DVD playback? and charging less for it? i would imagine that it is a cheaper CD drive, which then lowers the price point.

think of it this way... why would pioneer go to the cost of putting a DVD drive in but disabling the DVD playback? and charging less for it? i would imagine that it is a cheaper CD drive, which then lowers the price point.

Yeah I figured that too, I just thought maybe it'd cost less if they bought all of the same one, maybe there'd be some kind of discount from their distributor for ordering so many, and they simply put a block on the dvd drive in the software on the 700 to push customers to spend more on the 900/90.

So then it's safe to say we wont be seeing a hack to allow 700's to play DVD's unless someone found the right dvd drive and swapped them, like the Z3 drives.

Yeah I figured that too, I just thought maybe it'd cost less if they bought all of the same one, maybe there'd be some kind of discount from their distributor for ordering so many, and they simply put a block on the dvd drive in the software on the 700 to push customers to spend more on the 900/90.

So then it's safe to say we wont be seeing a hack to allow 700's to play DVD's unless someone found the right dvd drive and swapped them, like the Z3 drives.

I'm guessing you would have to swap out the disk drive as well as use all or some of the code/program files from an F900 or F90 unit to make it recognize and play the damn thing... at that point, it's pretty much more worth while to just have gotten an F900 in the first place!

If you want to watch video on the 700, get a 6G ipod classic. The videos look great and you don't have to fumble around with a pack of dvds.

My 700's drive has never even been used yet

The 6th gen ipods seem to have better video quality (if encoded for it)

Yes its a little pain to convert them to the ipod, but its worth it. Having that huge list at your fingertips is awesome. I have every episode of Futurama on my ipod and almost every family guy episode along with sevreal movies. There's still plenty of room on my 80gb. :D