AVIC411.com

Scripting Tips, Q & A: Making Stuff Happen

The navi software itself has a startup script, it is start.ui

However, you are asking about the unit as a whole, which is somewhat outside the realm of this thread. Nonetheless, here's what happens on boot (as best as I am able to figure out). The windows CE os performs a reboot, and then it launches a number of programs. There is a copy of the registry that's been uploaded to a thread in this section, which lists 5 or 6 programs that are run. These seem to include device managers and services managers, the GPS drivers, and then the 'mainmenu' program.

You are correct in thinking that the gps software is started whether you are starting in nav mode or not.

I do not know the exact order that things are run, but I strongly suspect that the splash screen does not go away until *after* the nav software is ready to function - even if you are booting to another screen. I know that the navi software does parse every script and every file in it's boot process - learned this by making a typo in a script in a file that is not normally run, yet it caused the unit to pitch and error and crash on boot. So it's definately parsing everything at startup whether its used/needed or not.

If I were designing the UI for this unit, I would have it boot to the 'top menu' every time, and I would have that menu active within a few seconds - even if the three options are not ready yet. The AV stuff should be ready first. They could have the three button icons be greyed out until they're active... so on boot, you get the splashscreen, then a few seconds later you get the top menu with the options greyed out. Very shortly after that, the AV icon is 'active'. Then when bluetooth is ready, the contacts icon would come active along with the 'phone' button. When the GPS software was finally ready, the Destination icon would come on. If you hit the map button before the gps was ready, you'd just get that 'system startup' screen.

Every GPS I have used, is slow to get from boot up to actively navigating. It takes a minute to get a fix; getting a fix requires more work and processing than keeping a fix. There's not much that can be done about this. I can accept that the navi side of things will take a minute before it can be used. What is IMHO poor design, is that they keep every other function 'locked out' until the navi side of things is ready. That is just frustrating. As soon as the volume knob is functional, you know the AV software is running and you could be in there using it - there's no need to keep the thing locked onto the bootup screen at that point.

Unfortunately, this is all just rhetorical / hypothetical. My guess is only Pioneer will have the resources to make changes at this level. It's way beyond me, that's for sure.

More scripting fun.

in SYS.TXT file (iGO program directory) add:

mapfontscale=130 in [iNTERFACE] section. This will make street names on the 2D map larger (adjust number to your preference.

In [3d_config]

roadsign_lines_per_screen=15

Smaller numbers seem to make street names on 3D map larger.

In the main navigatemap_800_480.ui file you can add a layer with a string that has textmodel_wstr="map.cursorpos.righthousenumber" (And lefthousenumber). THis will display actual (well, given map quality more approximate) house addresses to the left and right. I would put it somewhere above the current street name on the bottom...

It actually exists in the current UI file but visible model is set to HIDE. Change it to the same visibility settings as the street name itself...

There are quite a few guides, even though none seems to give complete descriptions. The two that I listed work.

I am trying to find more tips from the pretty active Russian IGO-skinning community...

It is definitely possible to have IGO show POI names on screen, as well as give info when tapping on POI icons, for example.

It is definitely possible to have IGO show POI names on screen, as well as give info when tapping on POI icons, for example.

That would be very nice to have those functions activated!

I am looking for them. So far I found skins that have them active, but need to find what changes to what file were made...

I also want to find the Navigon color scheme...

If you've got a link handy to a skin with those functions active, could you post it? I wouldn't mind downloading and having a look through it too.

Places to look, aside from project_config, would be in the map colour schemes. They're not in data.zip (or maybe they are...on the Pioneer they aren't) but they do contain the map colour settings, and the text display info for street names.

Edited to add: I found this in Pioneer_blue_night.zip\color.ini:

[userpoi]
font="tahoma"
fontsize=10
color=255,255,255

But it doesn't display the text tags, so it doesn't really help... :?

I just found something else, also in the scheme zip file, colour.ini (and colour3d.ini)

In the "Label Colors" section. The pioneer_blue_night does not have an entry for "label_poi" but I've seen that entry in other places. I'm going to add that entry on mine and see if this causes the POIs to get the names to appear.

I won't actually test till tomorrow morning... not running out to the car to test it tonight. :)

If you've got a link handy to a skin with those functions active, could you post it? I wouldn't mind downloading and having a look through it too.But it doesn't display the text tags, so it doesn't really help... :?

default.viz file seems to be interesting.

Here's one skin file that has better POI information.

nopanel08406c.zip

• 3 months later...

OMG I just stumbled on this thread by accident and this seriously is soooo helplful. After reading the first page with Stephanies' tutorial, I felt like I was sitting in a classroom in grade school. You remember that feeling when you finally grasped a concept the teacher had been droning on about and it just kept going over your head until you had that light come on moment. :shock: Stephanie thanx for making the effort to make us noobs a whole lot smarter.

• 2 weeks later...