AVIC411.com

car's speedo not working

hey guys, new here... i searched for this topic and found only one topic that discussed the cars actual speedo not working. everything else is about the speedo on the unit. so here goes.

i have an 08 hyundai tiburon.

i had a d3 installed today (done by a reputable local shop)

upon leaving, i noticed that my speedo wasn't working, so i turn around and bring it back. the guy who installed it checked the fuses, his connections, etc etc, but to no avail. he ended up calling hyundai tech but their only suggestion (sensor is disconnected) wasn't the problem.

i bought the unit on ebay used, everything works fine on it (as far as i can tell) and before i had brought it to the guy to install it, i had done the bypass on it myself.

so let me know if you can suggest a diagnosis based on this info. it would be GREATLY appreciated. im just wondering if my bypass did something to screw up the speedo.

p.s. I got the info for the bypass here, i did it as directed but when it says to ground the yellow and black, and the green parking wire in, i tapped them into the ground wire using the same wire tap, meaning instead of two separate connections for each wire, i only used one. could that be the problem?

Bones311,

Couple of thoughts...

1. My speedo also didnt work after I installed my D3. The reason was that I messed up the wires on the back of my trip computer while I had my dash apart. Pain in the butt to take it all back apart to fix.

2. Maybe it's a problem with the pulse wire. Thats the wire where you tap into so the D3 can read your speed. Maybe that wire is cut where it was spliced. (Did you/he use the wire tap connector that was supplied with your D3? or was it tapped another way?)

3. I doubt seriously it has anything to do with your bypass. The bypass is primarily related to the park brake and that has nothing to do with the speedo.

4. Being a mechanic Id make a few suggestions to try and narrow it down.

A. Does the D3 read your speed? If it does that would suggest that the tap wire isnt connected on the other side of where it is tapped. If it doesnt read the speed then it may not be properly connected to the card at the connector. It is also posible that the guy that installed the D3 shorted something out or burned something up. (Edit) He didnt cut the pulse wire did he? He also disconnected the battery while he was hoking it up right? Some people think "ehhh, I dont need to do that" (idiots)

B. Unfortunately Id have to suggest disconnecting the D3 and seeing if the problem went away. That would suggest that it has something (or nothing) to do with the D3

It would be next to impossible to T/S why it doesnt work without inspecting the car. Just approach it "logically" and take steps. Start at one end of the circuit (checking everything along the way) and working to the other end of the circuit. That way youre not going in circles. Dont skip over anything while youre troubleshooting the problem

ok well its working now. turns out that the amp wire from the car side of the harness (which isn't needed with the d3) was hooked up and killing the speedo. took all of 10 minutes to figure itout and fix it.

now my bypass isn't working. like i said i found the diy here, and did it as follows:

1)take out mute wire (yellow and black) from harness and insert it in pin slot above.

2) ground mute wire (wire taped black ground)

3)ground parking brake wire (light green wire, tapped to ground seperately from mute wire)

so now the problem im having is that whent he cars in motion the dvd will keep playing but show no image and i get a message saying how its unlawful to watch dvd's in the drivers seat, etc.

haven't tried to mess with the nav while in motion yet. before everything was fixed i know i could change my route while in motion, but like i said, i have yet to try it out again.

also when i start the unit i get a message telling me that my parking brake lead isn't hooked up correctly (well duh, its bypassed!) but i dunno, is it suppose to say that even if the bypass is done correctly?

You should not see any indication about the parking brake. Sounds like you did something incorrect with the bypass. Judging by the parking brake message, your ground is no good. Try checking those connections or even better, take them apart and do it over.

Theres something wierd there though because isnt the park brake wire just hooked to a switch normally? if so how would the D3 know if it was hooked up or not? When I 1st did mine the park brake wire didnt have a great connection and I got a message that I needed to apply the park brake or something along those lines but I dont remember it telling me it was "hooked up incorrectly" I dunno just seems wierd.

uhm jaedee,

what Im trying to say here is....

Isn't the park brake wire just hooked to a switch on the park brake lever?

If that is in fact the case, then..... EVEN IF IT IS HOOKED UP TO THE SWITCH, THERE WON'T ALWAYS BE A NEGATIVE TO THE WIRE. DEPENDING ON IF THE PARK BRAKE IS APPLIED OR NOT WILL DETERMINE IF THERES A NEGATIVE ON THAT WIRE.

How would the D3 know if it was hooked up or not? I mean I know it's a pretty advanced piece of equipment LOL, but I didnt know it had eyes hahaha

All the D3 knows is... there is or there is not a negative to the wire. That being said I dont think its ever going to tell you that your wiring in your car is not hooked up correctly. It may tell you that you need to apply the park brake to watch videos (since it didnt detect the park brake being applied by way of the negative signal on that wire) but thats about it... and thats all I was saying :)

Are you grounding the Parking Brake wire that is coming from the harness or are you grounding the wire coming from the Parking Brake? You should be grounding the wire from the harness, the bypass really has no connection to the actual Parking Brake.

uhm jaedee,

what Im trying to say here is....

Isn't the park brake wire just hooked to a switch on the park brake lever?

If that is in fact the case, then..... EVEN IF IT IS HOOKED UP TO THE SWITCH, THERE WON'T ALWAYS BE A NEGATIVE TO THE WIRE. DEPENDING ON IF THE PARK BRAKE IS APPLIED OR NOT WILL DETERMINE IF THERES A NEGATIVE ON THAT WIRE.

How would the D3 know if it was hooked up or not? I mean I know it's a pretty advanced piece of equipment LOL, but I didnt know it had eyes hahaha

All the D3 knows is... there is or there is not a negative to the wire. That being said I dont think its ever going to tell you that your wiring in your car is not hooked up correctly. It may tell you that you need to apply the park brake to watch videos (since it didnt detect the park brake being applied by way of the negative signal on that wire) but thats about it... and thats all I was saying :)