AVIC411.com

Alternative To AVIC FEEDS (NEVERMIND, IT DOESN'T WORK)

http://www.gps-data-team.com/

This site that BorisM posted allows you to download preconfigured .KML files which as we all know is the format that AVIC FEEDS converts files to in order to be read on the F series. However, being these files are already in .KML format, you dont get the ridiculous 300 locations limitation you get with AVIC FEEDS. I have tested it with the Starbucks file and it does work. All 11,000 plus locations appear in the POI list on the F series. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to integrate a custom bmp image for the icon but Im sure someone will post a solution soon. There is a seven dollar registration fee to be able to download .KML files but for me it is well worth it.

UPDATE: On further testing and the findings of forum member njohnston this solution does not address what I thought in the above thread. It appears that the limitation is not only with AVIC FEEDS but also with the F series reading from the SD card.

Are you really sure this works? I have a KML file with about 1,000 items and only 300 show up on my F700. I open the KML from my SD card and there are 50 pages of POIs listed. Each page shows 6 POIs. 6x50=300

So I'm missing the rest of my POIs. Are you really sure it's possible to list more from one single KML?

Do you think all the POIs are there and active but the Nav is only showing me the closest 300?

Do you think all the POIs are there and active but the Nav is only showing me the closest 300?

They may all be there but it appears that the unit wont show them regardless. What you should do if possible is use a text editor to edit the file into groups of 300. Then when you do a POI search it will show you only the closest ones to your location. I have tested this and it does work. For instance, before I had the one Starbucks .KML file I had 38 Starbucks files with 300 locations each. When I did a POI search by hitting the POI soft button it would only display file numbers 10, 11, 12, and 13. Those were the ones closest to my location.

Have you tried loading the ЛЬД file onto the unit itself, as opposed to reading it from SD card?

I think there is a sys.txt setting for this, too, but can't find it right now...

For red ligt/speed cameras, of course, you want to use the proper method (there's a thread about it)...

I have copied the KML file into content\userdata\poi and after some crunching I had POIs showing. Granted, I did not count them, but since this is different from manually-entered POIs (those are save in the .upoi file), I think it has all of them. I'll check when I get home tonight...

Ok this did work but without the custom icon. Is there any way to make the custom icon show in the built in icon list? I did notice from looking through the built in icons that they all have the extension .icon Any way to convert .bmp to .icon? Custom POI icons is about the only thing keeping me from being completely happy with this unit.

Actually .icon files are just pointers to spr and bmp files. Default icons are in poimapdistant.bmp and poimapclose.bmp.

You could use a branding.zip file to override built-in icons but I have not seen a good one that includes US brands. Working on making one now, but my graphic skills suck..

Alternatively you could try using adding an .icon file (look at existing one for sample) and an icon you want to use to your DATA.ZIP file...