AVIC411.com

Something I found while playing in test mode

I did happen to find something very interesting while I was playing in test mode. I managed to boot the unit up. When it booted I stumbled upon the MSN Direct. You may be asking so what. I have the Avic-F700BT. Which doesn't have the msn direct. I dunno what exactly could be done with this. Maybe someone could find a way to make it work on the 700's. Not sure if its already there and we just need to activate it somehow or what. I could enter the gas, movie, weather, traffic tabs. Just got no info on them. I could even click on status or connection, but never got anywhere with it

IMO, I think the 700 has the capabilities of running MSN Direct but its a matter of does the 700 have a block, or is it missing vital files? And how do we go about it? If we can get one of our hackers to get a 700 Flash Disk and a 900, maybe they can find something better. But then there's the question of "how do you activate it?".

I believe the conclusion was made that the 700 has MSN direct files and apps for the sake of uniform programming and ease of programming however it likely does not have the hardware to support MSN direct. Correct me if I am wrong but I believe that even if you got it working you would never get a signal.

Probably, unless it gets its signal from the GPS as well. I don't think it'd have an internal antenna because of the obstruction issues. But I can't agree with the uniform programming fully because it's a no brainer that either the 900/90 have an extra file (or maybe even hardware), or the F700 is missing it. Again, nothing can be concluded unless flash disks from both a 700 and 900 or fully compared to see. The 700 deffinitly has different scripts that cause the MSN direct button to not show up, or the 900 and 90 have a script that enables it. Again, nothing is conclusive until a difference is found.

Who knows, maybe it's as simple as finding a way to enable just that one button and the whole MSN UI is accessible...

Someone should call pioneer and screw with them. I'd be funny since most of us on here are having to try to figure out how to make this thing work properly. Tell them you can't get your msn direct to work on the 700bt. More than likely your going to talk to someone who doesn't have a clue what your talking bout. You can email them a pick of your unit with the 700bt model number on it with a screen shot of the msn direct.

Someone should call pioneer and screw with them. I'd be funny since most of us on here are having to try to figure out how to make this thing work properly. Tell them you can't get your msn direct to work on the 700bt. More than likely your going to talk to someone who doesn't have a clue what your talking bout. You can email them a pick of your unit with the 700bt model number on it with a screen shot of the msn direct.

Or they'll use their famous answer "you need to send your unit in" and leave it at that...never underestimate the laziness of Pioneer Tech support

one of the .exes probably looks for the units model name/number somewhere and if its 900 or 90bt then it enables all the extras and if its 700 it just disables it, I dont think you would need any extra hardware i think its purely software :/

I'd think that it does need MSND receiver/decoder, rather like you could enable TMC screens, too, but without a TMC receiver they would not do you much good...