AVIC411.com

VSS : install or not install ????

Hi all,

I presently have installed in my ML an AVIC-D2 and it works great. The week I was installing this unit I was confused about the VSS wire of the unit and where to connect it to vehicule because my ML does not have a VSS readily available like some vehicules do. All to say that it turned out that I never did need to connect it, my GPS tracked fine and the screen with speedometer also worked perfectly.

My question is, I am looking into the AVIC-F90BT or the 900. Will this model work for GPS and the little Graphic speedometer, has anyone installed this unit without hooking up the VSS wire, please let me know as this is the only thing holding me back.

Thanking all of you in advance. :D

The VSS wire is not necessary but does help the nav work more accurately. The F series units do not have the vehicle dynamics display (speedometer, accelerometer, lateral G's, etc.) like the D series does, though.

it does, but not in the same way as the D. you'd have to set the 3 boxes in the bottom left differently... one shows your current speed... maybe it works just cause i have VSS connected.

Anyone know how to verify you have the VSS connected and working properly? My speedo in nav setup looks to be accurate, and I've had no problems navigating, but hard to tell if its working without some kind of "Wire is connected properly" type message. 8)

you'd only notice in like, a tunnel. where you have no signal. so unless you have a tunnel nearby, you won't be able to tell.

Anyone know how to verify you have the VSS connected and working properly? My speedo in nav setup looks to be accurate, and I've had no problems navigating, but hard to tell if its working without some kind of "Wire is connected properly" type message. 8)

you'd only notice in like, a tunnel. where you have no signal. so unless you have a tunnel nearby, you won't be able to tell.

Also if you are driving on a road that goes through a wooded area, you might lose signal.