AVIC411.com

Ducati Boy Flasher Your Crazy if you Don't Have One

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ya know i just thought about something else ducati, even if every version of the future models of z1s dont need the bypass you made, there are still tons of units out there that your bypass works for. And in time people will sell there unit to other people but forget the bypass or people will by a unit used at a pawn shop or whatever. The second hand market will be a big boom agian for you.
UMM I don't havve one, So does that mean I'm crazy? or Is it because I don't have a z1? A question for the ages I guess. On a side note, how long is the delay between the flashers output pulses? and how long do they last? I' m thinking I might beable to use one of them things for another project I'm working on.
[quote name="silveradojeff"]ya know i just thought about something else ducati, even if every version of the future models of z1s dont need the bypass you made, there are still tons of units out there that your bypass works for. And in time people will sell there unit to other people but forget the bypass or people will by a unit used at a pawn shop or whatever. The second hand market will be a big boom agian for you.[/quote]

Yah, there were a bunch made before July 06, I don't know how many, but the sales trickle in here and there. I don't know if the sales will ever boom again, but they will probably trickle in here and there for quite a long time.

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]UMM I don't havve one, So does that mean I'm crazy? [/quote]

Yep, pretty much.

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]or Is it because I don't have a z1? A question for the ages I guess. [/quote]

Well, if you don't have a Z1 then you might not be that crazy. I think if you have a June 06 or before Z1 and you don't have one of my circuits, then you might be crazy. I guess that was the jist of things :)

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]On a side note, how long is the delay between the flashers output pulses? and how long do they last? I' m thinking I might beable to use one of them things for another project I'm working on.[/quote]

Well, it depends on the "version". The latest version is 250ms pulses with 500ms pauses (to keep the reaction of the Z1's dimmer to a minimum and still record it as a transition). But I would highly recommend not using it for anything else since it's pretty tuned to this application and it's also current limited on it's inputs and outputs. What were you thinking of? I can modify the software to put any timing you would like into it (if the application is not that far off).
[quote name="Mo-D"]If I were to wire a switch inline with the trigger wire for the flasher unit, could I "turn off" the flasher unit and would the actual state of the illumination wire pass through?

Thanks,[/quote]

That would be quite a weird wiring. But you could do it with a DPDT switch. You would want to turn switch the ILL wire in and out oppisite of the wire from the circuit. And once the car was started and running, you would have to shut off the car to make it so the lockouts come back. Oh and then you will need to switch in the parking brake on a 3rd pole, so you would need a tripple pole switch or have the parking brake hooked up and not used. I guess I could draw it up and find a switch if this was something people really wanted.
Why would you need to switch the parking brake wire? I guess it's hard to imagine what needs to be done without knowing how the flasher module wires up. I'm guessing that there's +12v, GND, an output to the Z1 and some type of trigger to let the module know when to "fire".
[quote name="Mo-D"]Why would you need to switch the parking brake wire? I guess it's hard to imagine what needs to be done without knowing how the flasher module wires up. I'm guessing that there's +12v, GND, an output to the Z1 and some type of trigger to let the module know when to "fire".[/quote]

I guess I was thinking you wanted to take out the flasher circuit and have a switch between "z1 is bypassed" and "z1 operates like it was supposed to".

The circuit has 2 functions, the first is to flash the lights during the first 10 seconds, then it passes through the illumination state to the car. I made it control the ILL wire so that if you turn on your headlights during the flashing, that won't interupt the flashing. Then after the flashing is done it will pass though the state of the ILL wire of your car. The problem is there are only 4 wires, 12V switched, ground, ILL sense to your car, ILL out to the Z1. And it technically doesn't "connect" the ILL in to the ILL out, it watches the ILL in and REPRODUCES it on the ILL out. Those 2 wires are never connected.

So if you wanted to "stop it from flashing" you would need to remove 12V switched from the circuit. Well then with no power, the ILL wire won't ever go to the Z1.

So at the very least, you would switch out the power, and when you do you would bypass the circuit will the ILL wire.

So if you looked at the bottom of a DPDT switch, there is 6 pins, lets label them:

1 2 3
4 5 6

2 and 5 are the common and the toggle switch will connect 2-1 or 2-3 and at the same time the switch will connect 4-5 or 5-6. So if you flip the toggle switch to the "left" 1-2 will connect and 4-5 will as well. You flip the switch to the "right" and 2-3 are connected and 5-6 are connected.

So now lets take my circuit's installation:
[img]http://www.sminntech.com/images/z1flasherinstall.jpg[/img]

A switch to take the circuit out of the picture, you would take the red wire from my circuit and connect it to #2 on the toggle switch and nothing else. Then take the 12V swithed wire from your car and connect it to #1.

Then take the white wire from my circuit and connect it to #5 and to your ILL wire of your car.... and then take the orange wire and connect it to #6 and to the ILL wire of the Z1.

This way, when the switch is to the "left" then power is connected and the orange and white wires of my circuit are not connected to each other. But you flip the switch the other way, the power goes away, and the ILL is connected "around" the circuit.

But if you do this, then the unit will be "locked out" and the only way to access the locked out features is to ground the parking brake ONLY WHEN STOPPED. But you don't want the parking brake connected normally. If you don't want the Z1 to access any of the locked out features "ever" when you flip the switch to take out my circuit, then you can leave the DPDT switch like I said.

If you do want to include the parking brake so that you can operate it like pioneer intended, then get a 4PDT switch (you only need a 3 pole, but I don't think they make them).

That will look like
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
A B C

You won't use ABC, but hook the light green wire from the Z1 (the parking brake sense wire) to #8 and then connect #9 to the parking brake of the car.
Basically, what I'm trying to do is be able to flip the switch one way and the Z1 behaves as Pioneer intended it. Flip it the other way and it behaves as we would have intended it ;)

My daughter starts driving soon and I don't want her having the temptation of driving around with movies playing and taking any of her attention off the road.
[quote name="Mo-D"]Basically, what I'm trying to do is be able to flip the switch one way and the Z1 behaves as Pioneer intended it. Flip it the other way and it behaves as we would have intended it ;)

My daughter starts driving soon and I don't want her having the temptation of driving around with movies playing and taking any of her attention off the road.[/quote]

Then set it up like I said 2 posts ago, with the toggle swich, it will work. You can do the parking brake if you want to, but I would not if it's your daughter. Just do the DPDT switch setup, she will be locked out of most of the features, moving or not, but at least it will limit her "interaction" with the Z1.
OK, thanks. I guess I'll be ordering a flasher then. I'm confused about one of your statements though. You said that "she will be locked out of most of the features, moving or not.......". If the parking brake was hooked up like it is supposed to be, wouldn't she still be able to park and pull up the brake and get access to those features, as intended? if she want's to navigate while driving, she can use the voice command.
[quote name="Mo-D"]OK, thanks. I guess I'll be ordering a flasher then. I'm confused about one of your statements though. You said that "she will be locked out of most of the features, moving or not.......". If the parking brake was hooked up like it is supposed to be, wouldn't she still be able to park and pull up the brake and get access to those features, as intended? if she want's to navigate while driving, she can use the voice command.[/quote]

With my circuit isntalled, you need to unhook the parking brake from the Z1. But if my circuit is not hooked up due to this switch, then all the lockouts will be back and there is no way to access all the features....

So you might want to switch in the parking brake as well so that it's normally disconnected and when you flip this other switch it hooks up the parking brake.

It's been months since I have seen what is or is not available when the lockouts are in place, so I don't know what will or will not be available to her.

I'll try to draw up a diagram for this, it will take a few days for me to do this though.
[quote name="ducatiboy"]...........With my circuit isntalled, you need to unhook the parking brake from the Z1...............[/quote]

Ahhh, I didn't realize that you recommended not connecting the parking brake wire with your circuit, now it makes sense why you were saying to switch it in and out. Do you recommend not hooking it up just because if someone were to pull it up (or put it down after the bypass is done) the bypass is cancelled and you have tostart over?