AVIC411.com

Ducati Boy Flasher Your Crazy if you Don't Have One

How about this one. You'll need 2 relays and a spst toggle switch. Then wire it up as follows

Relay 1
85 - one terminal of toggle switch
86 - switched 12v
30 - parking brake wire of z1
87 - parking brake wire in car

Relay 2
85 - Same terminal of toggle switch as relay 1
86 - switched 12v
30 - illumination wire of z1
87a - illumination output wire of the bypass circuit
87 - illumination wire of vehicle

Switch
1 terminal to pin 85 of both relays
1 terminal to ground

How it works:
With the switch in the off position, the z1 will be bypassed via ducati's circuit. With the switch in the on position, the z1 will behave normally. Ie only able to acces the navi and play dvd's with the parking brake set. The only down side is the truck much be turned off and the z1 must be shutdown in order to change the switch postion without causing an error message to come up.
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean my realy thing wouldn't work? on a side note, after reading your instructions, I find one minor flaw. On some cars the parking brake wire rests at ground, even with the parking brake off, until the car is started. There is a small possibility that the z1 might catch that ground signal and throw the error screen. Odds aren't that great, but it is possible.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Does that mean my realy thing wouldn't work? [/quote]

You kidding? I missed that post of yours, but when I decided to draw up the something that would do the same thing as you were going for... I pretty much drew the same thing. :)

[url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall5.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1fcinstall5.html[/url]

Sorry I didn't mean to copy and take your thunder away, I missed your post. I was just drawing diagrams this morning and kept going.

Your relay setup would work. But the install4 would be a temporary revert back to lockouts this would be a switch that would make it work like it was intended by pioneer. Depends on what you are going for.

I don't need a switch to lock the unit up on a permanent basis, but I like the fact that I can pull the parking brake and make it lock out if people ask about it.

[quote name="cntrylvr79"]on a side note, after reading your instructions, I find one minor flaw. On some cars the parking brake wire rests at ground, even with the parking brake off, until the car is started. There is a small possibility that the z1 might catch that ground signal and throw the error screen. Odds aren't that great, but it is possible.[/quote]

Technically since all parking brakes are pulling down the wire to ground or they are floating, that means that the sensor has a pull up resistor. And if it's connected to the 12V switched then most likely when the car is off, that wire would read 0V, not that it's shorted to ground, but it wouldn't be pulled up any more. When the car is at rest, I'm sure there is some drain in the electrical system and it would bring the lines down to 0V. When you turn the key, then the 12V switched is turned on and that wire is pulled up.

It's not a big deal. And the Z1 looks for this after 5(ish) seconds after being powered on. So you can have the parking brake engaged when you physically start the car, but you have to release it quick. I haven't done tests as to how quick, but if it's within 2 seconds the Z1 will still be bypassed.
I don't really care about copying the post I made. There's after all only so many ways ou can wire a relay. Great mind think a like right :) . Na I'm kidding you've probably forgotten more about electronics than I'll ever know.

Never really thought about the parking brake thing like that. I know my car and a friends car, if we left the igintion on with out starting the car for a few seconds our screens would show the parking brake as grounded even though it wasn't set. Yes hard as it may be to beleive there was a point where my navi system was actually installed correctly. This was of course before I found about how to bypass the system.
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="needspeed"]I just bought a second Z1 from Tweeter and it was made in April so they are still out there, so I will need another Ducatiboy special......Steve[/quote]

Well the web site is up and I'm still taking orders and making them. Not as many as I was before, but I'm going to keep making them and supporting them as long as possible, I figured there are some pre-July units still floating around. [url=http://www.sminntech.com]www.sminntech.com[/url][/quote]

I Have a Sept 06 unit. Do I need the circut to unlock the functions?