AVIC411.com

Any iphone docks that pass thru the audio?

I just installed my f900bt in my vette and was playing with the idea of installing a dock into one of the cup holders, this way I could just get in my car and plug my iphone in, and it would remain standing up and viewable (as opposed to how I currently do it where it goes into my console).

Anyway I tried the Apple white dock for the 3g and notice it doesn't pass thru audio or video. I do see a line out on the dock so assume thats what its for. Anyone know of a dock that does pass audio/video thru the connector cable?

Just to elaborate, if you look at the back of the white Apple dock there is a separate line out, which I assume the dock is wired to not pass audio thru the usb connector, but rather thru that line out.

So what I'm looking for is a dock, or something that would keep the iphone vertical and stable, but that I could plug the pioneer cable into and it would pass audio thru the usb part.

What kind of connector does that line out port on the dock use? Maybe you can find a cable that plugs in to that and has RCA cables on the other end.

It's a mini jack cable, so yes it would be pretty easy to just run a mini jack to RCA cables. But I don't know if the Pioneer would look for the audio on one of its RCA inputs if I was playing music from the iphone.

The ipod interface on the F-series units use the rear AV1 (RCA) input for audio and video signal from the ipod. The radio's USB cable is only for control and charging of the ipod. You need to go into the menu and change the AV1 setting to ipod for this to work.

Just to follow up, this will NOT work at all. The white Apple dock does NOT pass thru audio or video. Audio you can get thru the minijack, but video you cannot get. I did a bunch of reading on this.

The problem is in the iphone firmware which looks for a hardware chip that is only in licensed accessories, docks, cables, etc. With this authentication it will pass video to for example the Pioneer cable. But the dock does not have audio or video pass thru so if I put it between the Pioneer cable and the iphone it will not pass audio or video. From what I understand some of the older Universal iphone docks will pass video thru a special S video connector, but they dont physically fit the shape of the 3g.

So I ended up making a custom dock/cradle that fits inside my cup holder and holds the Pioneer cable. Now I can just get in the car and plop down my iphone and have it standing up and charging.