AVIC411.com

F90BT - Anyone have a hard drive working?

Well it is sounding like the iPod will be the way to go... to my dismay.

When a HDD is attached, can the AVIC play playlists (M3U) from it?

Can anyone more well versed answer the below?

Can I load an iPod with MP3's without using iTunes?

If so, Can I play these MP3's from an iPod with the AVIC?

Nate

No, the AVIC cannot play M3U's from a hard drive. It's file/folder only. You can only browse the file structure. Same as with a SDCard or USB Stick.

For the other questions, I am not an IPOD expert, so I have no doubt I will be corrected if I am wrong. There were some 3rd party programs out there that could push files to an IPOD Classic (maybe others) with ITunes 5.x. Once the device/ITunes is at Version 6, however, you are pretty much stuck. You can use 3rd party to pull items FROM the IPOD, but not pushing files TO it. Apple locked it down. Mine was a version 6 when I bought it, so I did a little research on your same question and that is what I found.

If there is 3rd party out there that will do this, I'd love to know.

And for the record, and much of a pain as I think ITunes is, it's still well worth it. I haven't moved my IPOD from my glovebox in weeks, so the initial headache of setup is long behind me. Plus I do get some Podcasts and the like which I enjoy. I have never once wished I had a hard drive instead of the IPOD.

First time poster... but Avic411 is an amazing source for info. I haven't purchased my F90 yet but plan to in the next couple days... a big part of my decision to go with the AVIC is the USB port. My intentions are to keep something in the vehicle with all 60plus GB of my MP3's on it.

Has anyone gotten any further in their trial and errors from this thread?

I like the idea of the 1.8" drive... a little pricey but not as much as an iPod classic.

Does the AVIC have to scan the drive each time the vehicle is turned on? Can that be disabled? and if so will it recognise the drive each time the vehicle is powered on?

iPods... not a fan. I do not walk around with earbuds in all the time. No need. I don't own a standalone MP3 player either. I despise iTunes. I tried it... WMP10 is way easier to me, much more user intuitive. My music is all 320k or VBR MP3. I maintain a network attached storage on my home network to deliver music to 2 laptops, 1 workstation in the garage and a PS3 optically connected to the Home Theater. I really don't want to change much.

Can I load an iPod with MP3's without using iTunes?

If so, Can I play these MP3's from an iPod with the AVIC?

Thanks in advance!

Nate

i think u could , try this sorfware out imtooipod and u could take the music out too .

i think u could , try this sorfware out imtooipod and u could take the music out too .

Thanks. I just may have to give it a shot... I've all but purchased an F90 and used 80gb iPod. If I have to I'll load iTunes on one of my PC's... it really sounds like the iPod will be the better route considering the radio was designed to play nice with it already... damn shame. HDD's can be larger and cheaper. I saw a 250gb Western Digital Passport at Best Buy for $99... would've been a better way to go if the Pioneer engineers had thought of a better interface.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread...

I hope somebody gets a HDD to work efficiently with the AVIC...

• 2 months later...
So the 160GB iPod is the way to go it appears. Question- Do they make a USB Y Connector so someone could put 2 of these iPods and get 320 GB of space?

Yeah they are out there...search Google or Amazon for "usb y cable". Or you could get a usb hub. As to whether either of these will work with the AVICs I don't know, but it'd be worth a try.

It'd be nice to hook up my iPod and iPhone at the same time! Then I could always keep the iPod attached and plug the iPhone in whenever I wanted to use Pandora Radio through the stereo. Or be able to pop a thumb drive on there when needed. Hmmm...maybe I'll try this out myself when I get a chance...

• 4 months later...