AVIC411.com

CD-SR11: The Nighttime Steering Wheel Remote <sigh>

This is just an FYI: My AVIC-Z1 is installed in my '06 Subaru Forester XT. The installation fit in the XT seems pretty close to perfect in that the head unit _exactly_ fits the factory dash opening. It is neither recessed nor protruding. I also have the CD-SR11 steering wheel remote mounted at the 5 o'clock position on my wheel. I can't mount it higher due to the existence of protruding factory "thimb grips" on the inside of the wheel rim.

When I first picked up the car after the install. I randomly tried the remote a couple of times and it seemed DEAD. A day later, I dismounted it from the steering wheel mount, and waved it around while pressing buttons and it still seemed dead. I subequently reseated the battery with no effect. Later, I remembered that the CD-SR11 is INFRARED!

Because my Z1 is truly flushmounted in the dash, it REALLY doesn't like SUNLIGHT. The Sun will interfere with the CD-SR11 around mid-day every time. It will also interfere, depending on your direction of travel, in the early morning/late afternoon. Basically, if I have sunlight shining on the Z1's IR receiver, the CD-SR11 is almost guaranteed to work only intermittently or not at all. So, if you are thinking about adding one to your system, try it out at the dealer to see how much impact the sun will have.
You're exactly right JKD...luckily for me the Z1 sits somewhat recessed on my dash and usually the IR receiver on the Z1 is shielded from direct sunlight. But, once direct sunlight hits, the remote does not work...I also have a PAC unit installed (steering wheel control) which is hard wired so I do have a backup...no phone controls though.
  • 2 weeks later...
[quote name="silveradojeff"]i wonder do you have tinted windows? Doesnt tint block most of the ir that the sun sends out? if you dont have it maybe that would help and if you do have it.... hhmmm i guess i dont know what im talking about.[/quote]

You may not know what you're talking about, but you are right. Tinted windows do block more of the light frequencies that interfece with the ir of remotes.
  • 2 weeks later...
The CD-SR1 is different because it has phone buttons for the bluetooth functions, the 11 does not. It is IR.

[quote name="Gamezilla"]omg guys, i was actually gonna get the CD-SR1 steering wheel remote, I think its different from the cd-sr11....

but anyways, does the CD-SR1 also work on IR? Isn't it supposed to be hard wired into the system somehow? can it be hard wired somehow?[/quote]
  • 2 weeks later...
Bummer... honestly that is retarded as there really is no good line of sight if it mounted on the streering wheel, plus all the daylight issues.

Guess that explains the simmilar problems I'm experiencing with the CD-SR11 I got with my old N1 unit but still works with my new Z1...

These really should have been RF
If they went radio frequency, then they would have to obtain approval from the FCC, and most likely, it would be required that the remote cannot interfere with any other frequency (similar to remotes).
I have a very large sunroof which allows in a lot of light, the Z1 fits flush to the I/P, and in the past three months, I have only had a problem twice. Those times, I recognize the problem since the screen is almost blanked out due to the light, so I reach over and use the controls on the radio.
I would say the convenience 99 percent of the time, exceeds the inconvenience 1 percent of the time.
Now, if I had a convertible....