AVIC411.com

Final Questions before purchasing

Okay, I'm just about ready to make the purchase for the F90BT so long as I get answers for the following questions:

1. When in GPS mode, can you mute the audio instructions? I would find it very annoying to have a voice constantly interrupting my audio. All I need to do is glance at the screen for the instructions.

2. I assume you can just put the GPS in map mode, correct? That is, if you don't have a specific destination, can you just watch where you are driving to on the map?

3. The fact that the 2D map mode does not have a track up mode (your vehicle going towards the top of the screen) and only shows your progress n or s depending on your direction is quite dissapointing. Is this a feature that Pioneer could add in a future update? While this isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm just wondering if there is a possibility of it being added later. It's very strange that they took this feature out when just about any navigation unit you could find has it (obviously because people prefer it).

4. When in GPS mode and listening to XM, I see that it lists information on the bottom of the screen such as the station number and name. While that is good, I don't see much value in that. What I would want is for the display to instead, show the song name and/or artist. Is there a way to show this information or does it only show the xm station number and name?

5. I haven't been able to find out whether there is an adapter that is available for my car's steering wheel controls. Where can I find this information? I have an '07 Chevy Equinox.

6. As it is now, all of the audio in my car is factory. As stated above, I have an '07 Chevy Equinox. Will I be able to simply replace the factory unit with the Pioneer one without having to get another amp or new speakers? That is, will this just be a fairly simple swap? I just don't want any surprises when I have this installed that bumps the price well above what I am expecting to pay.

Thanks so much for your help!

Okay, I'm just about ready to make the purchase for the F90BT so long as I get answers for the following questions:

1. When in GPS mode, can you mute the audio instructions? I would find it very annoying to have a voice constantly interrupting my audio. All I need to do is glance at the screen for the instructions.

Yes, it takes a few clicks through the menu though.

2. I assume you can just put the GPS in map mode, correct? That is, if you don't have a specific destination, can you just watch where you are driving to on the map?

Yes, if you do not have a route, and click map it goes to map mode, and shows your location. 3D mode will follow your car, 2D mode only shows north as up.

3. The fact that the 2D map mode does not have a track up mode (your vehicle going towards the top of the screen) and only shows your progress n or s depending on your direction is quite dissapointing. Is this a feature that Pioneer could add in a future update? While this isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm just wondering if there is a possibility of it being added later. It's very strange that they took this feature out when just about any navigation unit you could find has it (obviously because people prefer it).

iGo would have to add it. Nothing is impossible, but I am starting to lose faith about the mythical second update.

4. When in GPS mode and listening to XM, I see that it lists information on the bottom of the screen such as the station number and name. While that is good, I don't see much value in that. What I would want is for the display to instead, show the song name and/or artist. Is there a way to show this information or does it only show the xm station number and name?

I don't think so. Not without modding it.

5. I haven't been able to find out whether there is an adapter that is available for my car's steering wheel controls. Where can I find this information? I have an '07 Chevy Equinox.

Check the Chevy forums to see if a Chevy to Pioneer adapter.

6. As it is now, all of the audio in my car is factory. As stated above, I have an '07 Chevy Equinox. Will I be able to simply replace the factory unit with the Pioneer one without having to get another amp or new speakers? That is, will this just be a fairly simple swap? I just don't want any surprises when I have this installed that bumps the price well above what I am expecting to pay.

You will need a wiring harness and a dash kit - 40 bucks more or less. I always recommend an amp, but they are expensive and a pain to install

Thanks so much for your help!

You can go to www.crutchfield.com and they have a very good system for knowing if it will fit in your vehicle, and you can buy the wire harness, dash kit and very detailed step by step install instructions custom for your exact car.

Just select the unit, put in your car model year, and it will tell you if it fits, what dash kits are available and if their are detailed install instructions, complete with how to take out the old unit, take apart the dash where wires are etc.

Also it will recommend accessories, like streering wheel controls etc. Those are a different animal, it it will vary depending on your car, the PAC brand you need to do some soldering with resistors too, so some of this you may want to have a pro shop do it if you're not comfortable.

Alot of these questions can be answered by going to your local electronics shop, in the US, best buy circuit city etc have them on dispaly at some stores.

1. There is the option to mute master/TTS (Text to speech) voice prompts but it is very buggy, you mute one they wall will mute, so you get no feedback from the Voice REcognition either.

2. Yes you can just watch where your going with a map. Granted it has these nice boxes blocking part of the screen meant for the turn information that doesn't go away without a route.

3. Thi sis only in the top down 2d mode, not the 3d mode which is the most likely mode you will use.

4. it will only show the xm station and that its on XM

5. www.crutchfield.com or PAC-audio.com

6. www.crutchfield.com

You can go to www.crutchfield.com and they have a very good system for knowing if it will fit in your vehicle, and you can buy the wire harness, dash kit and very detailed step by step install instructions custom for your exact car.

Worst system I ever saw. Don't depend on it. I have four Z series in my cars. Crutchfield claimed it wouldn't fit any of them. They fit perfectly. If it doesn't fall perfectly in place, they say it won't fit.

For your steering wheel controls, check here:

http://www.pac-audio.com/default.asp

These folks also make them for other suppliers.

I found the steering wheel adapter that will work with my car - thanks for your help!

As I'm getting closer to actually purchasing this unit, I have a couple more questions that I'm hoping can be answered:

What can I expect to pay for a standard install? What I mean by that is simply taking out my factory stereo and installing this one. I don't plan to add a camera, amp or anything else. I'm going to make some calls where I live (Tampa, FL), but I'm hoping to get an idea as to whether the places I call are in line.

What is the best way to handle the bypass issue. That is, making sure that the shop will do the bypass (so the unit can play video while in transit) and won't charge me a leg and an arm to do so. Is this a pretty easy procedure for a professional installer to do?

With the update apparently coming out soon, should I hold off before buying or installing until it is released?

For what its worth, unless you are getting a really great deal, I can't recommend the unit.

I am still not happy with mine. The slowness and sluggishness and quirks just make it not worth the money I paid. But I have seen on here they are going for 500, half of what I paid. Maybe at 500 it would be worth it to me.

Maybe.

Isn't the update supposed to take care of the sluggishness that you and others experience?

Is there another unit that you wish you had? I'm just wondering if I ought to take a step back and perhaps look at other units, besides Pioneer.

Read the forums, its about 50/50 for people liking the F series vs hating it. I am in the hate category.

The first update fixed most (but not all) of the bluetooth quality. For me, people can now hear me... it was flat useless before.

Its still sluggish, and slow to boot. Second update in theory may or may not fix it, but it may or may not even exist.

I have heard people like the Kenwoods. They are not as attractive as the Pioneer, but if they work...