AVIC411.com

80MT Update gone bad.... HELP?

Well to make a long story short, I'm broke thanks to my ex-wife and lawyer. So when I found the new 80MT disk posted here I couldn't resist but to try it... I mean I fix aircraft avionics for a living, what could go wrong....... ooops.

I've downloaded the iso 4 (west disc) 4 times, and done 10 different burns (thank god I got discs for free) on 2 different types of media using isoburn and alcohol120. I used +R DL discs, and burned them both in single layer and double layer formats. Not a single one will work, although one of the first coasters almost worked, which got me into this whole mess, it loaded the system and application software, but fubared on the gps software load.

Well now, same as most others it seems, my D3 is stuck in the perpetual "insert appropriate disc". I even went into the service menu (I have 81837208 memorized now) and tried to downgrade back to my properly-working 70MT discs. NO LUCK.

Is there anyone here who can send me a working copy of the 80MT west disc before I just give in to my loss, and go beg on a streetcorner for enough coin to pack it up and ship it in to get fixed. I think this may possibly resolve the issue, if not I think the GPS flash memory in the unit itself may have gotten corrupted (seeing as it's the onle software I can not force-load from my 70MT discs).

In exchange I can send a small donation for the time, or if interested, I have a copy of the D3 facotry service manual I'm sure maybe someone might be interested in...... (close to Las Vegas, NV wouldbe fantastic

Thanks!

Jon

Update as of today.....

Did some more research into my problem last night. Apparently when the one disc I made that kinda worked (updated then said insert correct disc) it may have corrupted the SDRAM where the nav program is stored....

How I came to this conclusion was thru going thru the service menus when attempting to do anything related to the GPS program (forceload software, GPS sensor test, etc) it would return an error. If I attempted a force load it would not even recognize the GPS soft on the factory 70MT discs I have. After going and trying to reformat, repair, or debug the SDRAM it would immediately return a error of 25(16h) meaning in lighter terms, it most likely is hung up and must be reflashed.

So basically, the only thing I can do is send it in for a reflash, so that the GPS software will load again; hopefully pioneer reflashes the unit without charging me too much. You can not do this procedure yourself it requires special software and connection to the unit....

For those in the same situation as me (Insert Proper Disc), if you're attempting to force-load the old software back to 70MT and you are not able to load the GPS from NG back to 1.50 you're most likely in the same boat as I am.

So bottom line, user beware on a set of nav discs... if the potential bad burn is in the wrong section, you could be out quite a bit of money.

Jon

I had the same problem and called pioneer and they wanted 200 dollars to fix it. Apparently it does not matter what is wrong with it, they charge the same amount. I ordered the remote and luckily the downgrade worked for me. I read in another thread about the people found below on ebay and they were impressed with them and the price. I was going to give them a call if the downgrade was not going to work; 200 dollars seemed kind of high when re-flashing takes about 2 minutes to do.

Good Luck!

Seller: repair_techs( 943)

Member: since Sep-08-05 in United States

We have been in the car audio service business for over 37 years servicing many local car dealers and stereo shops in the New England area. We offer a full one year warranty on all work performed on your unit. We are also a Pioneer Gold Service center. If you have any questions or concerns please give us a call @ 1-860-953-1679. Our hours are M-F 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Eastern Time.

I would most likely bet that can not support the reflashing at that center.... I used to be a service tech, and if it's anything like years ago, they're not too forthcoming on some of thier more complicated tests/procedures..... Actually since the procedure is not covered in the service manual (or even the problem) I'm almost positive on it.

I had to throw in the towel on mine and send it in, luckily since it's a Sep 07 model, they should warranty it..... maybe.

I sent in a D2 to repair techs about a month ago. They replaced the screen on the D2. i paid $325 for the service, parts, labor, and shipping. I got it back pretty quick (about a week). I see that people are saying Pioneer charges $200 for just about anything. Do you guys think Pioneer would have did the parts and labor on the d2 I had for $200? Or would it have been more than the $325 reair techs charged me?

I havent sent anything to Pioneer before so I'm trying to figure out how there fees are. Is the $200 flat rate for just labor or do they include parts for certain repairs.

I have a Z1 that has a problem. When I put a dvd in the disc slot it says disc unreadable. It doesnt matter if its a new cd/dvd. I wont read any disc at all. I want to get it fixed for a good price. Repair techs said it would be almost 400 dollars to fix. Will Pioneer give me a quote over the phone or will they make me send it in? Has anyone else had this problem? If so how much was the total for parts and labor?

Here is how the problem started with my Z1. I stuck a cd in the drive and it had a label on it, so it had trouble ejecting. So I stuck a house key slightly in and easily pryed the disc upwards and it came out. Ever since when I put a disc in it says "Disc Unreadable" The drive inserts and ejects discs perfectly. I have used a lens cleaner, blown in it, still NO DICE!

For almost $400 bucks I will just leave it be, or I can buy a perfectly working used one off ebay for around that cost. I have a dvd changer hooked up to the unit anyways. Id get it fixed if it was under $250

What do I do??? Please help me out here...Thanks!

this is a list of what goes for the most part goes into this head unit to be replaced.

CXC4864 ANTENNA GPS IN STOCK $50.79

ND-BT1 BLUETOOTH UNIT 2 TO 3 DAYS* $135.00

CDE8083 CORD RCA I (INPUT) 20P IN STOCK $44.64

CDE8084 CORD RCA II (OUTPUT - MONITOR) IN STOCK $36.54

ADT-VA133 DOUBLE-DIN INSTALL KIT(OPTIONAL) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $45.00

CNS8523 FRONT PANEL 2 TO 3 DAYS* $42.29

CD-IB10II IPOD ADAPTER CALL FOR PRICE

GXX1259 LASER PICKUP 2 TO 3 DAYS* $153.09

CWX3263 LCD 2 TO 3 DAYS* $281.09

CPM1064 MIC ASSY IN STOCK $42.23

CRB2183 OWNERS MANUAL (HARDWARE) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $5.22

CRB2184 OWNERS MANUAL (OPERATION) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $29.73

CRB2258 OWNERS MANUAL (QUICK START) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $10.43

CNV8969 PEN 2 TO 3 DAYS* $3.75

ND-BC1 REAR VIEW CAMERA 2 TO 3 DAYS* $337.50

CD-R5 REMOTE CONTROL DISCONTINUED

Replacement Available - See Below

CD-R55 REMOTE 2 TO 3 DAYS* $16.88

CD-RV1 REMOTE CONTROL (REAR SEAT) IN STOCK $20.24

CD-SR1 REMOTE CONTROL (STEERING WHEEL) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $22.50

CD-SR11 REMOTE CONTROL (STEERING WHEEL) 2 TO 3 DAYS* $56.25

CRT3618 SERVICE MANUAL DISCONTINUED

CSX1093 TOUCH SCREEN 2 TO 3 DAYS* $51.06

CNS8669 TRIM PANEL 2 TO 3 DAYS* $13.92

CDE8082 WIRE HARNESS IN STOCK $33.69

If anyone has the parts list for what I need let me know. Also I would like to find a original Z1 owners manual. I dont want a printed manual. I really am looking for the original.

If anyone knows someone who will replace the DVD drive in the Z1 for me cheaper let me know. Thanks

Well my unit is also giving me the wrong DVD message. Sounds like there isn't a solution to this problem. So I called Pioneer and they will charge a flat fee of $200 to repair the unit. I figure they have the resources to reflash the firmware. Should I just invest in another unit? I've hear good things about the kenwood navs. Or purchase another used unit? What are you guys doing with your bricks?

If you've read my other posts, I was plagued by the "Insert Proper Disc" message.... I did some looking into what was wrong with my unit, and figured out the GPS software was shot.

So figuring out my bad burn just loaded the wrong info, well it did worse then that, it actually fried the GPS module in the unit itself, sent it into Pioneer and I was billed the usual $200, and parts used "1 CWX3446" Which just happens to be the GPS contol assy.

Been a long time since I've seen a bad software burn toast a part.... but it is not impossible.

Good news is my D3 works again, bad news is I'm out 200 for the fix, 120 to get a set of 80MT discs, 14 bucks for a copy of the service manual, and alot of wasted time......

Guess 120 woulda been cheaper to start.

Jon

If you've read my other posts, I was plagued by the "Insert Proper Disc" message.... I did some looking into what was wrong with my unit, and figured out the GPS software was shot.

So figuring out my bad burn just loaded the wrong info, well it did worse then that, it actually fried the GPS module in the unit itself, sent it into Pioneer and I was billed the usual $200, and parts used "1 CWX3446" Which just happens to be the GPS contol assy.

Been a long time since I've seen a bad software burn toast a part.... but it is not impossible.

Good news is my D3 works again, bad news is I'm out 200 for the fix, 120 to get a set of 80MT discs, 14 bucks for a copy of the service manual, and alot of wasted time......

Guess 120 woulda been cheaper to start.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...