AVIC411.com

Request for assistance with AVIC-Z1 and ND-BC1 problem

I'm having a problem with the installation of my rear view camera, I'm not sure electrically what is happening, but operationally when the car is shifted into reverse the camera will come on and there will be warning text that says the picture may be reversed, then the image on the z1 will automatically switch to whichever image was on the screen prior to the car going in reverse. After a couple of seconds the image will then switch back to the camera. This switching back and forth of the images will continue until the car is shifted out of reverse. In addition, when I choose the split screen map mode that is supposed to show the camera image in one window and the map in the other, the camera image is non-existant. The screen just goes blank in that window.

Thank you for any help that you can provide. I tried searching this forum, but couldn't any info about the rear view picture switching automatically back and forth from the camera image to a non-camera image.

ps. The car I'm trying to install this into is a 2006 VW GLI.

Ducatiboy,

If you see this, thank you for sending your light flicker circuit. I received it a couple of weeks ago and had it installed last weekend. The circuit worked great and makes the z1 a much more user freindly unit. :D
[quote name="WOB-VW06"]I'm having a problem with the installation of my rear view camera, I'm not sure electrically what is happening, but operationally when the car is shifted into reverse the camera will come on and there will be warning text that says the picture may be reversed, then the image on the z1 will automatically switch to whichever image was on the screen prior to the car going in reverse. After a couple of seconds the image will then switch back to the camera. This switching back and forth of the images will continue until the car is shifted out of reverse. In addition, when I choose the split screen map mode that is supposed to show the camera image in one window and the map in the other, the camera image is non-existant. The screen just goes blank in that window.

Thank you for any help that you can provide. I tried searching this forum, but couldn't any info about the rear view picture switching automatically back and forth from the camera image to a non-camera image.

ps. The car I'm trying to install this into is a 2006 VW GLI.

Ducatiboy,

If you see this, thank you for sending your light flicker circuit. I received it a couple of weeks ago and had it installed last weekend. The circuit worked great and makes the z1 a much more user freindly unit. :D[/quote]

i don't know what to tell you about the flickering of the rear view picture back and forth, but i can try to help you with the split view.

the camera needs constant power. i'm assuming you connected the camera to your backup lights........which means, the camera will only be powered on while in reverse. my installer connected it to constant power and bam.......you've got split screen!
The trigger to show you the reverse camera is reverse lead. You can set that to trigger off a high or low signal. The fact that it's flipping back and fourth makes me think there is something with that wire or where you tapped into. I would look at that violet/white wire and maybe look at it on a volt meter and see if it's going high and then low and changing when the screen does.
If your voltage is not sufficient to trigger the input to the Z1, you can remove the inline resistor on the violet/white wire coming into the back of the Z1. On the other hand, if your voltage is fine, but someone removed the resistor anyway, that will cause the Z1 to act erratically.