AVIC411.com

What gauge is vehicle VSS wire?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to use the correct t-tap (please, no flaming for using t-taps) for my connection. I think the VSS wire from the unit (AVIC-D3) is either 14 or 16 ga. I am thinking the VSS wire in the car is larger.

I used a red t-tap (22-18 ga) to hook it up and I am getting an intermittent speed pulse (most days it is fine) on the nav unit. So I am thinking I don't have a good connection. I probably should have went with a blue t-tap (16-14).

I am also wondering if I can use the blue for the smaller gauge wire of the nav unit or would it be too big.

um the blue t tap is for thicker wires. the red is the smallest one. the higher the number, the thinner the wire is. please dont use t taps. theyre not good connections for anything under the hood. use solder!!!!!! much better connection and it wont come loose or have intermittent connection problems like you're having.

I agree that soldering is better but I am hesitant on soldering the VSS for several reasons:

1. The location is very tight and there is not much wire exposed, it is located in a thick wire cluster at the PCM in the engine compartment.

2. This may not be the final radio in the car and the next one may not require a VSS connection. This decision is up in the air.

I know the blue t-tap is for thicker wire, that is why I am asking if anyone knows the gauge of the VSS wire. I used red and I think it may be the wrong one.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I know you want me to have the best install but sometimes circumstances dictate other methods. I also realize that I have to live with my decisions and deal with the consequences. As I think I am doing now.

Has anyone with a 2005 and up Mustang soldered the VSS? How did it go?

yes i have a 2007 mustang. i soldered the vss. very easy. just pull the wire out of the loom a little to give it a loop that allows you to get the soldering iron under the wire. i ran the entire wire in split loom as well so it looks completely factory. even if you did sell the car, you can just leave the wire there. do a good job on the install and make it look as factory as possible and there will be no problems.

the red t tap is technically the correct sized t tap but a lot of the time they have that problem of not completely cutting through the insulation.