AVIC411.com

Workaround for not being able to send CONTACTS / Phonebook

I have read quite a few posts about not being able to import "Contacts" via the "Phonebook".

I had the same problem with my Samsung "sync" A707.

As it turns out, when I connected via bluetooth my AVIV-F90bt created a blank "phoneBook" database.

I could just not access it to import the contacts from my phone.

My workaround was to "Edit" the phonebook as I had read in some other posts.

I know there is a basic thread about "Editing Your Phonebook in the forums, but I can see we have alot of other newbees such as myself so I made these step-by-step instructions.

Make sure you have a basic working understanding of Hacks/Mods as described in http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18327

Note: Apparently there is one phonebook for each phone paired with the AVIC-Fxx.

Each will have a different address and filename so make sure you know which one is which if you have multiple phones paired. Since your database file could have a different name I will refer to it as PhoneBookxxxxxxxxx.db in this post.

1. Boot to Test Mode. http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17542

2. Make a backup of your Flash Drive http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18068&start=5

3. On your computer, Navigate to: My Flash Disk > USER > UserData > PHONEDATA > PhoneBookxxxxxxxxx.db

4. Right Click, Copy, Paste into a temporary folder for modification.

5. Open your working copy from your temp folder with a database editor.

Some other members suggested http://www.sqliteexpert.com/download.html if you do not have an editor.

These instructions are assuming you are using the SQliteexpert editor.

When you get the "Select database file" explorer window you may need to change "Files of type" at the bottom to "Any File" in order to see your PhoneBook.db

6. Once your database is open, in the column on the left, click on "phonebook" directly underneath your "PhoneBookxxxxxxx"

7. In the main window, look under the "Data" tab.

You will see a table with headings: RecNo, ID, chShowName, chPhoneCode, and dwType

The second row of the table says "Click here to define a filter"

8. Click on the blue "+" right above chShowName.

A new row will appear. This is where you enter the data.

9. In your new row, Type 1 in the "ID" column.

10. Type the name of your contact in the "chShowName" column.

11. Type the phone number of this contact in the "chPhoneCode" column.

12. I think "dwType" is new for 2.0 upgraded systems for home, cell, work but I did not use that column.

13. Repeat from step 8 for each contact. Use a number sequence in the "ID" column....2,3,4 for each record.

SQlite will insert numbers under "RecNo" for each row. This is the order in which your "contacts" will appear on your AVIC-Fxx.

14. Use the Vacuum tool (green broom icon). This cleans up the database. Then click "File" and "Close Database".

15. Copy your newly modded database file to your SD card with your Testmode folders.

16. Boot to Test Mode on your AVIC-Fxxx. Suggest turning your phone off so it does not autoconnect via bluetooth.

17. Click "Start" > "Programs" > "Windows Explorer"

18. Navigate to your SD Card.

19. Copy your PhoneBookxxxxxxx.db file

20. My Flash Disk > USER > UserData > PHONEDATA >

21. Click "Edit" and "Paste". Answer YES to Replace the old file.

22. Turn off your vehicle, eject your SD, repower and boot up normally.

Once your phone connects via bluetooth you should be able to access your "Contacts" from the main menu.

My thanks to "paranoid" who first made the "Edit your Phonebook" thread to give me the idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is great information, but I would like to add one question...

I am able to load my contacts from my Blackberry 8703e, but the Voice commands do not work.

Do you know what causes the VC to not function? Is there something that I can change in this database to enable VSs?

I don't know why, but after I transferred my phonebook (successfully), I couldn't get vc to work correctly either. Editing the file in accordance with this thread fixed that. Again, I don't know the "why", but i do know that it worked for me. YMMV.

--Mav

• 3 weeks later...
This is great information, but I would like to add one question...

I am able to load my contacts from my Blackberry 8703e, but the Voice commands do not work.

Do you know what causes the VC to not function? Is there something that I can change in this database to enable VSs?

I don't know why, but after I transferred my phonebook (successfully), I couldn't get vc to work correctly either. Editing the file in accordance with this thread fixed that. Again, I don't know the "why", but i do know that it worked for me. YMMV.

--Mav

There is a thread on phonebook entries containing special characters such as - & * as well as having paranthesis in the number area code breaking VR. Do a search on "editing the phonebook" or "sqlite" to find the topic

• 3 years later...