AVIC411.com

Install questions

I’m planning on installing my F700BT this weekend in my 2008 Nissan Frontier and have a few of questions before I start. I’ve done a search, but can’t find the answers, so sorry if these have been addressed before.

1. I have a wire harness from Crutchfield, but it doesn’t have a pin for the ILL wire. I’m wondering what to expect behind the dash. Should there be a wire on the dash harness that includes the mating wire or do I need to look for another location to connect? If another place, what is the best place? I have auto headlights – could I connect it at the sensor, which is at the dash just behind the radio?

2. The antenna adapter has a blue wire – does this have to dow with the power antenna or fm modulator?

3. I have the Sirius tuner and IP Bus. I was thinking the power would come through the head unit, but looks like I have to connect it separate. What’s a good place? I was intending to locate the tuner and IP bus under the front passenger seat, which doesn’t have power seat controls. It seems awkward with the bulky “boxes†on the power wire.

Thanks for your help.

I’m planning on installing my F700BT this weekend in my 2008 Nissan Frontier and have a few of questions before I start. I’ve done a search, but can’t find the answers, so sorry if these have been addressed before.

1. I have a wire harness from Crutchfield, but it doesn’t have a pin for the ILL wire. I’m wondering what to expect behind the dash. Should there be a wire on the dash harness that includes the mating wire or do I need to look for another location to connect? If another place, what is the best place? I have auto headlights – could I connect it at the sensor, which is at the dash just behind the radio?

2. The antenna adapter has a blue wire – does this have to dow with the power antenna or fm modulator?

3. I have the Sirius tuner and IP Bus. I was thinking the power would come through the head unit, but looks like I have to connect it separate. What’s a good place? I was intending to locate the tuner and IP bus under the front passenger seat, which doesn’t have power seat controls. It seems awkward with the bulky “boxes†on the power wire.

Thanks for your help.

1) There are two ILL wires you'll find on the molex connector going to the factory radio. Only one of them will supply the +12v you need to send the Avic into Night mode. Get out your voltmeter and see which one is right. If I remember correctly, on my Altima, they are both Orange with another color for the stripe, so relitively easy to identify.

2) The blue wire on the antenna harnass is for the powered FM amplifier. Hook that into the Avic wire marked "Amplified Radio Tuner" or something to that extent.

3) For the IP Bus and Sirius, if you aren't ready for a tear-down of the vehicle then mount it under the passenger seat and run a +12v from the batter or fusebox or even piggy back it off of the Avic's +12v power source, whichever you do, make sure its fused. T negative side can be grounded to the seat mounting bolts. You might need a longer IP Bus cable than the 6' one that comes with the unit. Don't forget you also need a Sirius tuner in addition to the IP Bus interface.

Thanks for the reply terron. Does the antenna wire go to the blue lead marked "antenna control"? I thought that was only for powered antenna's, but it's the only wire I have left on my power cord and the only one that might make sense. There's no wire marked as you suggest.

Thanks for the reply terron. Does the antenna wire go to the blue lead marked "antenna control"? I thought that was only for powered antenna's, but it's the only wire I have left on my power cord and the only one that might make sense. There's no wire marked as you suggest.

Yes, Antenna Control is the proper wire. It sends +12v for either a telescoping antenna or an AM/FM antenna amplifier. You should not hook your amps (if you have any) this wire, those instead go to the one labeled "system control" or something to that extent.

i too assumed the power antenna blue wire was only if you had a power antenna. does this actually provide better am/fm reception? i didn't bother hooking it up. if its gives better reception i may.

i just installed the unit in my 08 frontier as well last week. you will need a dash trim for it. i had to do a lot of searching for it but i called cicruit city yesterday and they said they had it. i didn't pick it up yet so i don't know for sure how it is. one thing you'll love about the install is the amont of space behind the dash so it's easy to fit all your wires, gps antenna, etc back there.

todx,

Please let me know about the dash kit. I didn't think one was needed.

Regarding the blue wire - I've since read on a review of the product from Crutchfield were the reviewer said he got poor reception until he hooked it up.

Where exactly did you locate the gps antenna and how is it working?

it is not a dash "kit", it is just a trim. It goes around the unit to fill in a spot around the permimeter. You don't need to get it for the install, you just need to get it to make it look nice once it's in. Ill let you know how it looks. I was able to take my factory radio out of the brackets and use the same brackets with the avic. I remember not being able to screw in as many holes as the factory had (because not all the holes don't line up) but its VERY sturdy and i didn't have no problem using less than the factory was using.

• 1 month later...

First, thanks todx and terron for help on this topic and all of avic411 and members for a great, informative site.

Two months ago I said I was going to do the install that weekend - well, one bathroom remodel later I finally installed the unit this weekend. Overall it went pretty smooth and so far I'm happy with the unit although I still need to do the 2.0 upgrade.

Anway, todx do you have any more info on the trim panel? I'd like something to fill that gap.

at least my f700 arrived yesterday from US to Germany :D

now i´m beginning with mods/map changing etc..

it´s very very cold in germany now (-15 C) , therefor, i want to make it ready first at home, which wires do i have to connect? only the necessary ones.. without speakers etc.

Black and light green to ground. Red and yellow to +12V. Those four are all you need.

Thank you..one more question :) , what to do with Reverse Input if i want to try my reverse camera?

Actually, I don't think you really have to do anything. You could tie it to ground or to +12V. Then in the settings menu set it as either high or low level. I think you could just leave it unconnected and try both settings. One of the two should work. [i assume you are still talking about testing it in your house, not installed in the car.]