AVIC411.com

F90BT install in 08 VW GTI + iPhone 3G

I'm looking to order the F90BT head unit for my 08 GTI...

What all do I need to GET besides the head unit?

What do I need to KNOW before I try and install it?

What do I need to get the iPhone 3G to charge/play music & movies?

THANKS!!!

the F90BT comes with an iPod cable that fully works with the iPhone 3g... it controls the iPhone, you can even play Pandora through it... and it charges it!

I installed it in my FJ Cruiser so I haven't installed it in a Golf... but I assume you need:

1) wire kit

2) possibly a physical installation kit

3) you need to know where your vehicle speed sensor VSS wire is

4) you need to know where your reverse wire is

5) you need to find a stealthy place under your dash for the GPS antenna

6) I recommend mounting the bluetooth mic smack dab infront of you on the steering column... Pioneer recommends it and it works well

7) Steering wheel remote control adapter if you have those buttons

8) Option units like HD Radio and/or XM or Sirius all have to have a mount place and be wired in...

I always solder and heatshrink all my wire connections, all of them... and I am never figuring out why something doesn't work or stops working...

This isn't a hard installation, but it does have lots of things going on that have to be addressed that a basic CD player / radio head unit doesn't deal with:

GPS

Bluetooth

Possible rear camera

XM or Sirius

HD Radio

Wow, I never seen someone ask questions like this before. Wouldn't it be appropriate to do some sort of research lots and lots of these are addressed, all over on this forum, then maybe if you need to clarify what you think you might already know and if others agree?

To say what do I do how do I do it and what do I need to do it. Yeah, maybe you should look into going to a best buy or circuit city, probably a lot easier. Plus you don't have to worry if someone's advice isn't accurate.

Accurate advice from Best Buy or Circuit City... ? I haven't experienced that yet. :-P

The reason I asked those blunt questions was because after searching this forum (and the rest of the internet) I just seemed to get confused. Thanks to people on this forum, I was able to order all the parts I needed and learned WHY I needed them, too.

Now I need to find a manual on how to do this along with the things to watch out for in my VW GTI :-) Wanna help with that one or should I go to Best Buy? ;-)

Accurate advice from Best Buy or Circuit City... ? I haven't experienced that yet. :-P

The reason I asked those blunt questions was because after searching this forum (and the rest of the internet) I just seemed to get confused. Thanks to people on this forum, I was able to order all the parts I needed and learned WHY I needed them, too.

Now I need to find a manual on how to do this along with the things to watch out for in my VW GTI :-) Wanna help with that one or should I go to Best Buy? ;-)

We've had a large influx lately of people that post without first searching or doing any significant amount of research on their own. That being said, welcome to our forum.

I couldn't tell you anything specific about the VW GTI, just be prepared to make a few trips back and fourth to your favorite audio supplier.

You'll need a soldering iron, small gauge solder, heat shrink of various sizes, plastic zip ties and various screw drivers including perhaps some odd shaped star or torque bits.

Fo the installation itself, you'll need a dash face only if your vehicle doesn't already have a double din sized opening. You may or may not need mounting brackets.. usually when you buy a dash face, it comes with all the hardware you'll need. You'll most likely need a harnass to go from your factory wiring harnass.. This you'll be soldering up to the Pioneer harnass. USE HEATSRHINK when you are finished soldering. I swear if I see any electrical tape I will forever taunt your installation.

You might also need a steering wheel remote control interface.. two companies make these; Peripherals and Pacific Audio.. just confirm that the model you're buying works specifically with your vehicle and read the directions 3 times before even thinking about cutting any wires. Again, use heatshrink over the resistors you'll be soldering!

Finally, don't rush yourself to do anything. If you're having trouble tearing down your dash.. take a 5 minute break, get online and go find the shop manual for your vehicle. See where the tabs and screws are, calm down and go back for more.

If you get stuck, let us know and we'll try to help.

EDIT: Go read up on the hardware bypass and do this before you perform your install!