AVIC411.com

3D Navigation Voice Guidance Issue

If I have the map screen in 3D while using voice guidance either the, TTS voice or the others, it will randomly go into 2D mode. It has to be the most annoying bug after the 2.0 update. This has occurred ever since I got my F700 (pre firmware update 1.0).

Does anyone else experience this bug or have any idea on how to fix it? coughBorisMcough 8)

Also the button that changes the view of the map will sometime not change state when this happens. ie. Map will be in 2D after the bug and the button will still say 2D on it.

Ahem.

As a thorough reading of the manual and settings screens would show, iGO has a feature where, if the next maneuver is father away than a certain (configurable) distance, it will switch to 2D mode to show your position relative to the entire route. When you approach the maneuver, view switches back. 2D-3D button should still work, and you can turn overview off in settings\visual...

Well tried it out and it does fix the problem but this does seem to be a bug in the overview feature. On my unit it will not switch back to 3D mode after the overview mode is activated. Basically it activated after getting on the freeway but even after getting back off the freeway and having two directions less than 500ft from eachother it never went back into 3D mode.

Turning it off did stop it from doing it all together though.

On a side note it did give me an idea for a mod to change the behavior of this feature to possibly bring up a different screen on the nav between directions.

I think there are also settings that control how quickly it removes overview mode and also you could play with Smart Zoom as well. Those are interconnected. I'll need to look at what settings I have, but so far I have never had it not zooming in to the upcoming maneuver.

Gotta love how features are frequently interpreted is bugs, simply because people don't read the manual. This navigation unit is very complex, it should be common practice to read the manual first, the troubleshooting section in the back is very helpful.

Did read the manual... I interpreted this feature as being similar to what my TomTom can do where it will zoom in at a turn if you are zoomed out a decent distance but then IMMEDIATELY go back to the previous zoom level. Not turn from 3D to 2D mode. Its very counter intuitive to have a user set 3D mode then as a default the nav unit will switch to 2D as it pleases when navigating.