AVIC411.com

XM channel logos stored on unit, can you update them?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I edited up to Channel 56 (Jam_ON) to be ready for their logos. I'm sure you are able to tell that from looking. I've got to finish the rest tomorrow. Unless of course you decide to go ahead and change the rest and send me your file. That would be cool too, lol. There's not too many more that need to be changed, most are done in that file so that right now the channels have their old logos working, so all we have to do is create new logos for them and swap in the BMP files, or in your case the PIMs.

Yeah, it is nice being able to just run in and out of the house and try new files with the SD card. Though my neighbors are beginning to get suspicious. Tomorrow I will play around with adding white space to the end of "Holly" and maybe I'll get it to work. It is the only thing that can matter at this point. The first bit is DEFINITELY the file pointer since I made a file/channel that was never there before and now it shows up. The third bit is the channel pointer, which does NOT matter since Cinemagic, Broadway and several other channels still have their proper icons and yet have moved up 50 channels, so the channel number doesn't matter for the logo to show up. The only thing that I have seen that will break the channel logo is the Name string and the name length bit. So it has, has, HAS to be something up with the name. The only thing it can be is some kind of invisible character/white space at the end. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

If you can test for me (and make sure that file is working) I will create PIM's when you are done... Instead of me wasting $5 DL DVD's...

a few errors....

"The Highway" = 11 Chars... you have "A" = 10...

that should read "B" Or does that work for you?'

Same thing with Classic Vinyl... Can you confirm if these show the TOP TRAKCs or Highway 16 logo?

and the F series has BMPs? Im about to go buy a F Series now

Yep, just went out and checked, The Highway has the Highway 16 logo, Top Tracks, Big Tracks, everything shows up. So we have come to the conclusion that the name length does NOT matter in this case.

Also, I added a space to the end of Holly's name and no dice, can't figure this one out. Also, I noticed that the categories for Latin and World are merged into "Latin/World" now, and that category automatically took on the icon for "Latin" without having to be modded to do so. So I am thinking that the channel name in the imagetbl.dat only has to be long and correct enough for the first word and then it will show up. Like the "Miami/Ft. Lauderdale" traffic channel, the name of it in imagetbl is just "Miami" and it still shows up. There may be something at the beginning of Holly that we can not see that is making the icon not show up.

hahaha it kinda makes you laugh, thats 2 wasted bits... for each label...

I will email you a few BMP's (For "the highway" and such) Just as tests... would you mind (when you have time) testing them for me?

I will try burning a few of my tests tomorrow with your DAT

Mind you the BMPs for the Avic channels have to be 360x90 for the big ones and 90x30 for the list ones. These are considerably larger than the ones for the Z (IIRC 138x96 or something). Also, bit depth does not seem to matter on the F. 16 and 32 bit BMPs all show up just fine.

360x90 for D3's?

I got one working at 136x40 earlier today...

what size for the F Series... I have a batch image converter... so size wont be a huge issue...

360*96 for the F series, I don't know what the D3 uses, probably the same size as the Z. The F uses higher res than any of the previous models since it's got such a high res screen.

136x40 was the res that I was trying to remember. That would work for your Z no problem of course. I don't know how the F reacts with improperly sized images. Also, more about that batch resizer! I was going to search for something like that to do the list icons once I can get the full size PNGs of the new channel logos extracted from the Channel Line up PDF.

I have no idea if it will be fruitless or not, but I just sent a question to XM themselves detailing this situation and asked if they can/will be doing anything from their end about this.

Seems to me that if the logos that USED to be there aren't any longer, wouldn't they be able to put the new ones up once they have them situated?

Or am I missing the boat completely here? I'll let everyone know what they say when they reply.

Cheers,

Kev

I called XM simply to see if there was a file or a webpage that I could obtain that had high quality clips of the new logos and for the 'inconvenience' I got 5 months of free service. I wasn't even a jerk about it. Now THAT is customer service! 8)

I have no idea if it will be fruitless or not, but I just sent a question to XM themselves detailing this situation and asked if they can/will be doing anything from their end about this.

Seems to me that if the logos that USED to be there aren't any longer, wouldn't they be able to put the new ones up once they have them situated?

Or am I missing the boat completely here? I'll let everyone know what they say when they reply.

Cheers,

Kev

I called XM simply to see if there was a file or a webpage that I could obtain that had high quality clips of the new logos and for the 'inconvenience' I got 5 months of free service. I wasn't even a jerk about it. Now THAT is customer service! 8)

You can get the logos in very high quality with transparency by ripping them from the channel list PDF. I did this as follows:

- Grab the latest devlopment version (the release version is bugged) of Inkscape from www.inkscape.org. This is free open source software.

- Run Inkscape and open the XM channel list PDF. Uncheck the "Embed Images" option as there is a bug with embeded that prevents you from saving and reloading the PDF saved as an SVG.

- Click the white background object of the whole document of delete it (Delete key).

- Click on the white backgrounds and rounded borders for each station on the list and delete them. Also delete the blue background for the Sirius stuff. Be careful not do nuke any parts of the logos accidently. This will leave the logos with their original transparency so they can be placed on any new background.

- Click File->Export and export PNG bitmaps for various DPI ranges from 150 to 320.

- Launch Photoshop or your graphics editing program of choice and make you images by copying the logos from the exported PNG bitmap with the highest DPI that will fit in whatever size graphic you are making for the AVIC.

The export from Inkscape is somewhat time consuming. I ended up exporting over 40 PNGs for every 5 DPI from 120DPI to 350DPI. Because the logos in the PDF are vector scaled graphics you should get optimal quality in each exported PNG. I can't upload the PNGs because they are too large.

This sort of is what I already asked in my previous post here, but I am still trying to figure out:

If there used to be channel icons/logos for these stations on the XM display of these units before this latest marriage of channel line-ups, and now their NOT there - how was that possible with no disc update that folks are saying would be necessary to update the channels with this merger?

I'm confused on how XM or the tuner or whatever was able to "delete" these logos, but they can't reimage them or update them as well?

Could anyone explain that to me by chance?

Cheers,

Kev

OK, gotcha - thanks.

I guess that makes sense. It DOES seem like Pioneer/XM would release some kind of an update for this (just like the recent 2.0 update) so folks don't have to wait for the mapping release (and pay for it) or have to hack the unit to make them work, but what can you do?

Maybe I'll call XM anyway and ask - and get 5 months free service! :lol:

God know I've been with 'em long enough to deserve it!

Cheers,

Kev