AVIC411.com

BT + Navi Questions

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have just bought a F700BT from BestBuy for my Suzuki Grand Vitara. I am waiting for the correct adapter for my GV before BestBuy carry out the installation next week.

I have been reading the posts here and am happy to note that the 2.0 Firmware update has greatly improved the performance of this unit.

Currently I am using a Garmin Nuvi760 which sits on top of my dash.

In addition I have a Parrot BT wired into the GV's stereo.

I am replacing both for the F700BT hoping that the combined features + more will make my driving more pleasurable and efficient.

My work as an on-site computer tech requires me to travel great distances to numerous destinations and also make and receive calls from customers on the road.

I have a few questions which I hope the veterans here can help answer.

Question 1: Is there a limit to the number of entries in your phone addressbook? I have over 1,200 so far and the list is growing every day as I add my new customers to my addressbook.

Question 2: I read that the NAVI cannot be set to track forward and only tracks North. Is this is correct? My Garmin allows me to set to three modes: track forward/track North or 3D and I have grown to prefer track forward as it shows me where I am heading.

Question 3: Where is the best position to mount the GPS antenna to get the best reception?

Question 4: If you are taking a phone call, will the GPS interrupt your conversation with voice directions? If it does is the volume of the voice instructions too loud?

Question 5: Since it's almost 2009 will I be able to get the new Maps for free?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Question 1: Is there a limit to the number of entries in your phone addressbook? I have over 1,200 so far and the list is growing every day as I add my new customers to my addressbook.

Question 2: I read that the NAVI cannot be set to track forward and only tracks North. Is this is correct? My Garmin allows me to set to three modes: track forward/track North or 3D and I have grown to prefer track forward as it shows me where I am heading.

Question 3: Where is the best position to mount the GPS antenna to get the best reception?

Question 4: If you are taking a phone call, will the GPS interrupt your conversation with voice directions? If it does is the volume of the voice instructions too loud?

Question 5: Since it's almost 2009 will I be able to get the new Maps for free?

1: no idea, why dont you report back to us if all 1200 fit in your book

2: 2D is north/up only. 3D is a bit more flexable.

3: anywhere outside your vehicle is acceptable. inside is not such a good idea, but you can experiment with this to find the best place.

4: no

5: doubtful

Thanks for the replies.

I will try and import my addressbook and see if it will choke the AVIC! LOL

I guess I'll have to get used to the 3D mode.

I think I'll try the antenna on the inside as I do not feel comfortable mounting it on the exterior.

Besides the built-in antenna on my Garmin works great when the unit is mounted on my dash.

I've already downloaded the manual and will spend the weekend reading it. :roll:

Overall the AVIC looks like an excellent value for al it's features.

I am sure I will be happy with it.

Cheers

My GPS antenna is inside my car, right behind the rear glass. Fortuantely, the rear window slopes enough, and I get a really good signal. However, results vary greatly from vehicle to vehicle.

Experiment. Lay it on the parcel shelf and drive around and use the sat. locator in the settings menu and see how it works. If it doesn't, then you'll have to put it outside.