AVIC411.com

Album art from SD or USB?

It wont happen until Pioneer or someone on this forum replaces the cheesy media player with something a little more advanced.

I don't understand why Pioneer did not just use Windows Media Player 10 Mobile with a custom skin. We would have album art and the ability to play an entire genre, artist, or album via ID3 tags.

It wont happen until Pioneer or someone on this forum replaces the cheesy media player with something a little more advanced.

I don't understand why Pioneer did not just use Windows Media Player 10 Mobile with a custom skin. We would have album art and the ability to play an entire genre, artist, or album via ID3 tags.

WMP doesn't lend itself to tuning FM/AM/Sirius/XM; it would seem much easier to write your own lightweight interface than ask Microsoft to rewrite theirs.

WMP doesn't lend itself to tuning FM/AM/Sirius/XM; it would seem much easier to write your own lightweight interface than ask Microsoft to rewrite theirs.

I am not sure what you are saying here... If I understand correctly the way the unit is built, it is in two seperate sections. One section is the actual audio system which manages the AM, FM, SAT, CD, etc. Then there is the computer part which only lends a L/R audio output to the audio side and has device drivers to control everything. But the auido side does not NEED the computer side to operate. It only takes commands from the software when the user makes changes.

So with that being said, the media player has nothing to do with AM or FM or anything other than the playback of media files. This is why when you start the car in the morning and had it on XM the night before, the music starts playing long before the unit is booted up.

I am not sure what you are saying here... If I understand correctly the way the unit is built, it is in two seperate sections. One section is the actual audio system which manages the AM, FM, SAT, CD, etc. Then there is the computer part which only lends a L/R audio output to the audio side and has device drivers to control everything. But the auido side does not NEED the computer side to operate. It only takes commands from the software when the user makes changes.

So with that being said, the media player has nothing to do with AM or FM or anything other than the playback of media files. This is why when you start the car in the morning and had it on XM the night before, the music starts playing long before the unit is booted up.

I can't speculate since I don't have the spec sheet; but I can pretty much assure you that the software for the media hub is started first, hence why it plays media before the unit is fully booted; not because the hardware can operate on its own without the media software.

My SD card does not start before it's fully booted. It is the very last thing to start playing. Only devices that don't rely on Windows start playing. (i.e. CD, AM, FM, XM)

I don't have the block diagram or schematic either, but if you examine how the unit operates the way I have explained it make sense. This is how leetcoder is able to replace the media player that is in the unit now with The Core Media Player.

He has got into the internals pretty in depth and has already found there is a seperate bios that controls the basic functions of the unit including IP Bus devices.

All Windows does is have a "craft" type serial interface to the audio devices and a pretty touchscreen interfaces that sends commands through that interface.

Windows runs the media player and the navigation. Thats it. So yes, Pioneer could have very easily put any media player they wanted. My guess is the license cost... It was cheaper to use some in house software rather than pay for Media Player.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Pioneer's player also outputs currently playing track/station to a separate screen overlay that is drawn over Navi screen (and iPod album art, too). If they used WMP they'd still need some custom software to extract currently playing info and display it...

That is a good point Borris. So they would have to create two skins.

This all ONLY applies to the SD/USB player. If I understand it correctly (I don't have an iPod interface), the audio and video A/D conversion is done inside the iPod and sent to the HU via the A/V input. Then the iPod is controlled via the usb?

I would assume the album art when playing music is also delivered via USB being nothing comes out of the video output when playing music on an iPod.