AVIC411.com

Back-up Camera Experiences

I had an F90BT installed a couple of weeks ago and am very happy with it, despite a few quirks here and there. I'm now considering installing a back-up camera but I have a few questions before doing so:

1. Is the back-up camera really worth it? That is, besides being pretty cool to have, have you found much value in having it?

2. Is the back-up camera always the first thing to appear when turning the car on? Is there an icon or button to push to show the back-up camera image or does it automatically show up EVERY time the car is in reverse? The reason I ask is that if the camera screen was automatic, this would probably get on my nerves because I know occasionally I wouldn't want to use it and would rather have the map or XM screen be on rather than the back-up camera.

3. How fast does it boot up and show on the screen? It would sort of defeat the purpose if it has a long boot up time requiring me to sit in my parking space for a while.

4. Is this fairly easy to install? If I did this, I would have a shop do the install in my Chevy Equinox; however, if this is a timely/expensive installation I might elect not to do it because I don't want to keep pouring more and more cash into this unit. $50 or so for the install I could stomach, but probably not much more.

5. Are all back-up cameras pretty much the same for the most part? The reason I ask is that I have one that I got for free, but I don't have much information regarding the camera. Anyone have any experience with the BOYO VTK-350 camera?

I just installed the Boyo VTK-350 in my Altima; here is my experience.

The Avic needs at least 5 seconds after the screen turns on before you throw it in reverse; if you start backing down before that, it may not see the reverse signal and just not give you the image. This is no problem for me since I always wait a good 20-30 seconds after cranking the engine before doing anything.

The camera itself was pretty simple install but positioning is a real bitch since i didn't have a lot of room to work with for my Altima. Make sure you ran the wire from the +12v reverse signal to your Avic or it will work.

You can manually activate the camera by going to "Source" and tapping Rearview in the upper/right hand corner.

I installed the camera for my wife; certainly not myself because I can just turn my neck to look out the back glass. She is happy with it.

My only complaint is how long the camera is; it sticks out too far and as such I will probably go and install a small camera if I can find one.. but thats another day down the road.

Don't forget you'll need a +12v source for the camera when you install it.

1) Yes I think it's worth it especially if you are towing something, you get a better view of what you're towing, plus it gives you a better rear view than you get from your mirrors.

2) There's a short start-up screen that comes up for about 5 sec. then the camera comes on automatically everytime the vehicle is placed in reverse. I haven't found this to be an issue because it takes about that long to get myself buckled in etc. The camera can be accessed and viewed anytime through the source menu.

3) See #2

4) Install can be a bit of a challange depending on your vehicle, it involves running the leads all the way from the back of the vehicle to the front, pulling the deck to access the camera video in connection, connecting the switched power, ground, and reverse signal wires. I did all this myself, so I can't really say what an installer would charge you.

5) For the most part they're all about the same. some have better picture quality than others. The Pionner ND-BC20PA which is the one I installed has even more features, but is pretty pricey. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... /ND-BC20PA

I could not justify $200 on a backup camera. I ended getting one on ebay for $10 from some place in china. I mounts on the license plate and works great. My friend who owns a car stereo shop could not believe how good it is for $10 and if it breaks I will just buy another one

Do you have a model number or link for that?

I am very pleased with my back up camera. I bought it at a local shop and it was very easy to install in my Nissan Frontier. I had to fabricate an aluminum bracket because I have tube bumpers on the truck... But it is mounted right next to the licene plate.

I am not sure what the brand is, but it is a flush mount camera with IR LED's around the outside of the lens. It is entirely sealed and gives great color video day and works well even at night.

I will see if I can find the information for it. The cost was $95 and it came with the cables and a large drill bit for cutting the hole.

• 1 month later...

I like mine, but I have timed it many times at 10 seconds before it comes on. I usually start backing out quickly, and so its pretty useless for most things. Occasionally if I am parallel parking or in a tricky backup situation I will wait. My wife's OEM system in her Murano comes on within 1 second. I am really disappointed in my reverse camera.

I got a Boyo VTL420 for about $80, and it gives a great picture, even in dark. That said, I might have been just as happy with a cheaper camera. It's not like I need to see behind my truck in hi-def; as long as it has a picture of some sort and works in the dark, it'll do.