AVIC411.com

Back-up Camera Experiences

SBKIM,

Yes, wire the camera's power to ACC. Also, make sure the pioneer wire marked reverse is tapped off of your car's reverse signal light, so that the HU knows to automatically switch to the camera when you are reversing.

Got it - thank you so much!

I got a Boyo VTL420 for about $80, and it gives a great picture, even in dark. That said, I might have been just as happy with a cheaper camera. It's not like I need to see behind my truck in hi-def; as long as it has a picture of some sort and works in the dark, it'll do.
I got a Boyo VTL420 for about $80, and it gives a great picture, even in dark. That said, I might have been just as happy with a cheaper camera. It's not like I need to see behind my truck in hi-def; as long as it has a picture of some sort and works in the dark, it'll do.

be careful with those cheap cameras though. a lot of them do not reverse the image, so it makes backing up very awkward. i recommend whatever camera you purchase to make sure it has a reverse (or mirror) image.

i have the boyo mentioned and its quality is great even at night. backing into parking spaces like in a mall parking lot is sooooooooooooo much easier, almost fun. haven't had to parallel park yet though.

Ha - you and me both. I took 12+ and ground from the headunit.

My issue is that D2 won't automatically switch backup camera when put into reverse. I am having tough time figuring out where the reverse wire from D2 is going to (I didn't install the unit).

Has anyone tried splicing a factory back-up camera and connecting it to the F-series?

I have an '08 f-150 and the camera comes up in the rear view mirror when I reverse, would be cool if I could use that and view it through the F-series.

Try using a 1 in 2 out Video Signal amplifier. A unit like this is usually used to take a video signal and run it to multiple headrest monitors. It should work pretty well for what you are trying to do. Plus, it is really inexpensive. Check out the link to one below. It only cost $14.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... R&v=glance

Hello - anyone try these cheaper cameras on ebay. I am currently considering this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKU ... dZViewItem

However, I have some reservations given that it's a CMOS technology.

just bought mine today off ebay. i will send an update soon as i see what's going on with the product. so far i've read the feedback on these items and they just seem to get pretty good reviews

I bought the PAC VCI-LPC2 Chrome Rear view Camera. It's chrome plated, with an inline fuse, quick disconnect, plenty of cabling, and necessary gasketing to seal the hole you'll need to bore in your trunk. I love this unit, a lot of thought went into the design. Definitely doesn't look cheap like a lot of the other devises out there. It comes with a tiny Hex Key so that you can angle the camera lens to your liking.

If you decide to get the unit I highly recommend using Beach Audio. Delivery was quick and priced very competitive

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... T&v=glance

I just installed my camera today, it was easy to do, im not a wrench head or anything like that, and I did all this myself, it sucked a little more because I have a truck so i had to drill some holes in a few places, but it was really easy to install for the most part.

I didnt hook it up to my reverse wire or anything, i figure i can go to A/V Source and press "Rear View" fast than i can find that stupid wire and connect the two. I also have it connected to a constant power source (my amp, allowing the remote wire to turn on and off the power with the car) so i have the option to allways have it on.

Also I can have the rear camera on while i drive, and still listen to music, which im verry happy with (didnt think I was able to)

I figure this will come into play alot when i need to parellel park or somting.

rear2.jpg

rear3.jpg

bad part about not hooking up the reverse wire is that you have to wait for the unit to boot and the menu to become accessible before you can hit the rearview button.

Titan or Frontier? The reverse wire is real easy to find on a Titan. If you have an SE or LE, there's one behind the passenger kick panel. For XE, you can go to the trailer harness or tail lights. I imagine it's similar for a Frontier.

Frontier, Yea, someone found it for me, but by the time i finished the install i was tired of running all the wires and stuff, I may look for it later on, i still need to add a resistor to my remote wire because i get that popping sound. So since i need to take it all out again might as well.

Hello - anyone try these cheaper cameras on ebay. I am currently considering this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CAR-REAR-VIEW-BACKU ... dZViewItem

However, I have some reservations given that it's a CMOS technology.

just bought mine today off ebay. i will send an update soon as i see what's going on with the product. so far i've read the feedback on these items and they just seem to get pretty good reviews

I installed the ebay camera last night. Overall I'd say it is well worth the $30 shipped price. Its probably not as nice an image as the $200 versions (though I haven't personally seen them) but it does a good enough job for a reverse cam. I have absolutely no trouble with the image at night, which was my biggest concern in a cheap cam. The viewing angle is perfect for me.

I do have 2 minor complaints. The first is image stretching. It looks like the camera itself is capturing at 4:3, which is then stretched to widescreen on the display. Its not a big deal, it just makes things look a little wider than they really are. The second complaint is that while the camera can be tilted up and down on the frame, I couldn't figure out any way to actually lock it at an angle. Its lacking a tension point. There are 4 screws on the back, but tightening them did nothing. Fortunately for me the cable runs out the top, and when pressed against the plate holds the camera itself at just the right angle.