AVIC411.com

Z-Series physical mod

I wondering if the Z series is built in such a way that the screen could be relocated from the unit, also, the same for the keypad or keys. Has anyone looked at the unit to see if it is possible? I will buy and old unit and attempt it with guidance from the super intuitive members gathered here.

I've already taken it apart. The cable's not nearly long enough to move it anywhere and you'd have to make some kind of support for the back of the buttons or else they will fall out

Forget about the buttons and use a remote :wink:

• 6 months later...

Okay, I know this thread is a little stiff at present, but does anyone know if its possible to remove the entire front as a whole and then do some wiring extensions..... does the unit lend itself to such a mod? I would like to put the screen and controls (the front) in one place and the rest of the unit in another......

The front screen only has a single ribbon cable, so you could get creative and extend it. It is actuall quite easy to remove the whole front section that folds down as a single unit.

You are correct, the folding down screen is all I would need to remove and extend... ahhhhhh...... but are there any tricky switches that know the screen position...... well I guess there has to be because the display changes when the front folds down..... I am getting more interested in this....where are the switches located?