AVIC411.com

How do I reduce "Updating VR Dictionary. Please Wait&qu

When I start my F90bt with the ipod hooked up, it takes a good 4 or 5 minutes to be able to change from playlist/artist/ etc. It displays a message that says "Updating VR Dictionary. Please Wait". Has anyone had this long of a boot up? I have around 2600 songs on my ipod. Is there anyway to reduce the time that it takes to update the vr dictionary?

5500 songs here on my 60GB iPod, and it takes a lot longer to update, 10-15 minutes, easy.

However when I sync my iPhone with only 1/2 that it's under 5 minutes.

My solution, I only turn VR catalog on after I do an update on the ipod, then after it's done, turn it off until the next update cycle. I usually have the 60GB ipod in the glovebox all week long and update during the weekend. This should be fine since if there's no new data, you don't need an update in the week.

Diane

5500 songs here on my 60GB iPod, and it takes a lot longer to update, 10-15 minutes, easy.

My solution, I only turn VR catalog on after I do an update on the ipod, then after it's done, turn it off until the next update cycle. I usually have the 60GB ipod in the glovebox all week long and update during the weekend. This should be fine since if there's no new data, you don't need an update in the week.

Diane

Oh I didn't know it was possible to turn it off. Where is that in the settings?

Thanks

Diane

Oh I didn't know it was possible to turn it off. Where is that in the settings?

Thanks

Settings > AV Settings > VR Catalog Mode (page 145 in the manual)

Diane

the bigger question that I cant find an answer to..

is why does the avic feel the need to "update the VR" EVERY time you start up the avic just because you have the system enabled to allow it to update the VR?

meaning..lets say you connect the Ipod to the Avic for the first time, and allow a FULL VR update to occur.

As long as you have not disconnected the Ipod..why does the VR need a full update AGAIN the very next time you start the avic?

is why does the avic feel the need to "update the VR" EVERY time you start up the avic just because you have the system enabled to allow it to update the VR?

meaning..lets say you connect the Ipod to the Avic for the first time, and allow a FULL VR update to occur.

As long as you have not disconnected the Ipod..why does the VR need a full update AGAIN the very next time you start the avic?

they could probably make up a function that does a checksum of the current VR and match it against the checksum of the current ipod/whatever media to prevent redundant cataloging. but since there isnt, it has no way of knowing if there were any songs added so it performs the VR each time

Gosh, you are SO right! But, you know, an even BIGGER question to me is this. . .

Why would you be worried about why the unit needs to re-update the VR system EVERY time you restart your car, when you can simply TURN IT OFF anytime you want to?

Does it make any sense for the unit to want to completely re-update the iPod every time you start the car from a convenience standpoint? Nope. Is it a somewhat inconvenient, 10 second process to turn on and off when you want it to do so? I guess. And wouldn't it be a much more perfect world if it would know exactly WHEN to update everytime I put new music or playlists on my iPod, and do it in like, 12 seconds but ONLY then? Definitely!

But you know what, it doesn't. It takes about 5-10 minutes to update when you actually have it turned on and you need it to be updated. And that's the way Pioneer designed it for whatever reason they did so. If that is one of things you really have to complain about, you should know you are leading a pretty good life.

I hope things improve for you.

• 4 months later...

Gosh, you are SO right! But, you know, an even BIGGER question to me is this. . .

Why would you be worried about why the unit needs to re-update the VR system EVERY time you restart your car, when you can simply TURN IT OFF anytime you want to?

Does it make any sense for the unit to want to completely re-update the iPod every time you start the car from a convenience standpoint? Nope. Is it a somewhat inconvenient, 10 second process to turn on and off when you want it to do so? I guess. And wouldn't it be a much more perfect world if it would know exactly WHEN to update everytime I put new music or playlists on my iPod, and do it in like, 12 seconds but ONLY then? Definitely!

But you know what, it doesn't. It takes about 5-10 minutes to update when you actually have it turned on and you need it to be updated. And that's the way Pioneer designed it for whatever reason they did so. If that is one of things you really have to complain about, you should know you are leading a pretty good life.

I hope things improve for you.

I would actually agree with lseguy1 - I have 2700 songs and it takes at least 15 minutes to update. And I cant really use the ipod until it is updated (unless i want to listen to the first couple of songs). Considering the Ipod integration is one of my main reasons for purchasing, I would say this IS a major inconvience!

I vaguely see your point about having more important things to worry about, but truth is most Americans DONT have more important things to worry about. If you want to get into that whole minimalist arguement go to some other board, cause this is the avic411 discussion board!!! Where you post about questions or concerns you are having about your avic car stereo! I think someone has seen "Into the wild" to many times!

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everyone.... there is a point to be made in ALL of this.....though I dont know what that point is..... seriously though..... this forum is for people having trouble looking for help...not BIG problems or SMALL problems but problems in general..... that's why its labled Problems/Troubleshooting.....or they wouldve labeled it BIG Problems/Troubleshooting. I never understood why why it burns peoples eyes to read someone's issues... if you dont agree with it dont respond...but certainly lets not bash. My VR time on my 60gig iPod Video was about 4 hours... so I just turn it Off ALL THE TIME... I feel kinda wierd talking to my car anyway. "Play Artist: blah blah blah".... wait ...that might actually be cool.... hmm... I might have to re-think this whole VR thing.