AVIC411.com

AVIC N2 Bypass please confirm something for me

Okay I just need something confirmed for me. I'm planning to buy one of the AVIC nav systems. It seems that I can get the best price on an N2 unit, but I want to be able to adjust the nav while driving.

My friend has an N1 and he was just able to ground the wire attached to the parking brake and bam it worked.

There seems to be some ambiguity on what can and cannot be accomplished with the brake line bypass on the N2, so let me ask this.

Is it true that, without soldering the connection points on the back of the unit, if I attach a switch to the parking brake wire that lets me ground and unground it, and I flip it on AFTER the unit has started up, it will let me use navigation functions?

Thanks.
If you solder the two dots together on the bottom of the unit, you will get full function of the nav & video while driving. I don't think you have to ground the parking brake lead, I believe the solder spot overrides that, if I remember correctly. You may have to reset the unit afterwards to get rid of the handbrake warning.
[quote name="jimmy303"]If you solder the two dots together on the bottom of the unit, you will get full function of the nav & video while driving. I don't think you have to ground the parking brake lead, I believe the solder spot overrides that, if I remember correctly. You may have to reset the unit afterwards to get rid of the handbrake warning.[/quote]

Well the whole point is that I want to do it without soldering. I don't want video functionality, I don't care. All I want is the full nav functions, so will those work if I hook up a switch to the parking brake lead and then flip it on once the unit is turned on? WITHOUT SOLDERING OR THE CIRCUIT PEN?
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]Ground the parking brake through a switch. Flip it after the unit boots. It will work at any speed..[/quote]

Great thanks.

Makes me wonder though why I don't see anybody else talking about this, and I don't just mean here, but on other forums as well.

And it makes no difference if the unit is upgraded with the n3 CDs?

Do you actually work at circuit city doing this shit?
[quote name="executioner"]I thought the N2 functions were disabled via the motion sensors and bridging the points was the only way to defeat this. When I only grounded my brake wire everything would work up to 5-10 MPH then stop. After I bridged the points it all worked fine. Maybe mine was different. Good luck and have fun.[/quote]

Thats what I thought as well, which is why this is confusing me. Hes saying that the difference is activating the ground with a switch after the unit is already powered on. It'd be great if thats true, because you can get the n2 cheaper then either the n1 or the n3.
Yeah I think there is some false info being told in this thread. You will NOT get full functionality by simply toggling a switch after the unit has booted up and turned on. If you want full functionality all the time you must solder the two points together. I did mine yesterday took 5 minutes at most (decal came off perfectly with heat gun) and you are done. No toggle switch will be needed and you wont get that stupid improper parking brake message at startup every time. Just do it and be done with it.

JT
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]He's not talking about FULL functionality (read watching video while moving) , he's just talking about being able to use full navi while moving. Which grounding the parking brake after the unit boots will allow you to do that. I've done it many times for friends with navi.[/quote]

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. I have no desire to watch movies, and I'm not getting the nav for the enjoyment of other people in my car. They're lucky to be riding with me because I am God.

Thanks a lot.

By the way, out of curiosity, does this work with the n3 as well?