AVIC411.com

smashed avic-z3 during shipping, fixible?

Upon my new truck...along with this thread and various of other's with the same concept... I was curious to see if the LED's were actually a (in the LED world) "super white" color and if there was actually tint film on the buttons, that determined the color... LOL... to my dissapointment... the LED's are in fact the dark blue... I'm sure someone could have told that, but why not find out for myself... :roll:

Anyhoo... while I have my high priced unit ripped to pieces... I figured I could post up what we're dealing with, and save some of the questions...

Once I saw what we're facing, I had to question myself with, how is anybody doing these mods? My guess is that it might actually be easier, and possible to solder the "color of choice" LED on top of the original... Or maybe I'm just not in the know, and people are actually making replicas of this PCB/PCP or whatever they're called...

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01719.jpg

DSC01720.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

The Menu button that sports two LED's

DSC01724.jpg

And I did take note on the direction of the installed LED's....from left to right...

LLLLRUDRRRRRL

I really plan to pursue this... I just hope there is an easier, and less expensive way, than me bricking my stuff...

Go for it man. It's not that difficult if you have a fine point soldering gun and thin solder, preferably .030 diameter.

Thnks for the encouragement and tips... had anyone balls up for the job, I'd gladly pay...

But I'm anxious to get this rig in my new rig... LOL... probably a high priced mistake... regardless, I'll try to snap pics along the way, for a hopeful DIY post.... :roll:

Go for it man. It's not that difficult if you have a fine point soldering gun and thin solder, preferably .030 diameter.

Thnks for the encouragement and tips... had anyone balls up for the job, I'd gladly pay...

I mentioned above, my sisters boyfriend does that, he does entire LED conversions in cars. If you're willing to pay I'm sure he'd be willing to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey CMIYC631 I just wanted to thank you.... I took your advice and managed to pull it off... It was teadious, but all in all, not all that hard... after the first one, and actually got a method, the rest flew by...

I tried the LED"s that you mentioned, and they were wy too big though... I found these from Unique-LEDs and they are a perfect match.... I went with white to better match my interior, as I didn't think the red was going to match as good...

http://www.unique-leds.com/index.php?ta ... ory_id=189

DSC01732.jpg

DSC01739.jpg

DSC01735.jpg

I didn't think it was going to actually work either, especially after my shaky arse hands.... But once I got a process going, it got easier and easier...

I had full intentions of doing a write up on it, but I got too involved and stopped taking pics... But being that I'm still waiting on a couple more components for my install, and I haven't installed the HU yet, I may try to walk through it and post up some key parts to the process...

I'm not trying to encourage anyone in doing it, nor saying that it's the easiest thing in the world... But really, as far as the soldering goes, there's really not much to mess up... And if by some weird way you did, all you would need to replace is the plastic "PCB" with the buttons... which probably isn't more than $20...