AVIC411.com

Anybody opened it up?

Has anybody out there opened up an F series unit to see whats inside? I haven't popped the cover on mine yet, and was hoping somebody else out there may have and might be willing to share some pictures.

I'm hoping that somewhere internally there might be a serial header that would be useful for custom software/hardware integration with other stuff (e.g. radar detector, alarm system, car/engine debug info).

Thanks!

Has anybody out there opened up an F series unit to see whats inside? I haven't popped the cover on mine yet, and was hoping somebody else out there may have and might be willing to share some pictures.

I'm hoping that somewhere internally there might be a serial header that would be useful for custom software/hardware integration with other stuff (e.g. radar detector, alarm system, car/engine debug info).

Thanks!

I have not opened mine either. But if your looking for a serial header, don't forget to look for both 9 Pin and 4 Pin serial headers.

I popped the top on my f700bt to see if it was possible to hook up the VSS wire...it isn't

Also, the CDRom/DVDRom is a half height (standard tower size drive) which means there is quite a bit of wasted space compared to if they used a laptop height drive.

The CDRom in the f700bt uses a non-standard ribbon connector so you can't just buy an IDE or SATA drive and exchange it.

I took pics, but wouldn't be able to upload until I get my camera back after New Years.

I popped the top on my f700bt to see if it was possible to hook up the VSS wire...it isn't

Also, the CDRom/DVDRom is a half height (standard tower size drive) which means there is quite a bit of wasted space compared to if they used a laptop height drive.

The CDRom in the f700bt uses a non-standard ribbon connector so you can't just buy an IDE or SATA drive and exchange it.

I took pics, but wouldn't be able to upload until I get my camera back after New Years.

what is this vss wire i keep on hearing about? what does it do?

VSS is vehicle speed sensor

It allows for GPS "dead reckoning" when the GPS doesn't receive a good signal (like in a tunnel or downtown surrounded by tall buildings)

f900bt/f90bt have VSS, f700bt doesn't. It doesn't even have the components on the board to support it if the VSS external wire was hooked up.