AVIC411.com

QUICK QUESTION! Does the Z1 allow on-screen ipod control?

[quote name="treo650"]Along with the Ipod Adapter, will I be able to control my ipod...just like the N3??

I am getting a good deal on a Z1 and am planning on selling me N1!

Thanks![/quote]

Yes, but it is very slow and has interface quirks that make it less than ideal. Don't know how it compares to the N3, but the Z1 version is half-baked.
[quote name="bongus"]From my understanding, the quickest connection between an iPod and an aftermarket radio is found in the Alpine units...it is a direct digital to digital interface.[/quote]

So I wonder what Pioneer did, since they also licensed use of the dock connector...why not do it right?

It's frustrating how may companies don't really care much about what they do. If you're going to design something as capable as the Z1, don't you think you'd want to make sure anything else you design to connect to it would not diminish the user experience, like the iPod interface or even the SIRIUS implementation (why couldn't they just mirror the XM interface, which works better).

I admire Apple's philosophy. They work incredibly hard to make sure there are no weak links in their product chain, and if they find one, they usually work very hard to fix it. From their OS, to their hardware, to the iPod, to their bundled apps - it's a rather incredible experience. I imagine Jobs' edict is fairly simple - "if we can't do it twice as good as everyone else, we won't do it." They don't hit the mark everytime, but far more often than almost any other consumer electronics company I can think of.

If the Pioneers and Sonys of the world would develop that same committment, things would be much better.
Alpine did an even poorer job than Pioneer on their original ipod adaptor, the new cable just came out this year and is still not as fast an ipod itself. Pioneer will offer a cable next year too if it makes you feel better

[/quote]

So I wonder what Pioneer did, since they also licensed use of the dock connector...why not do it right?

It's frustrating how may companies don't really care much about what they do. If you're going to design something as capable as the Z1, don't you think you'd want to make sure anything else you design to connect to it would not diminish the user experience, like the iPod interface or even the SIRIUS implementation (why couldn't they just mirror the XM interface, which works better).

I admire Apple's philosophy. They work incredibly hard to make sure there are no weak links in their product chain, and if they find one, they usually work very hard to fix it. From their OS, to their hardware, to the iPod, to their bundled apps - it's a rather incredible experience. I imagine Jobs' edict is fairly simple - "if we can't do it twice as good as everyone else, we won't do it." They don't hit the mark everytime, but far more often than almost any other consumer electronics company I can think of.

If the Pioneers and Sonys of the world would develop that same committment, things would be much better.[/quote]
Not to the Z1, on some(not all) of the 07 models

[quote name="thrang"] [quote name="whtcrxghst"]Pioneer will offer a cable next year too if it makes you feel better

[/quote]

Not following - you're saying that Pioneer is going to release an update to the iPod interface for the Z1?Where have you read about this?

Thanks[/quote]
[quote name="whtcrxghst"]Not to the Z1, on some(not all) of the 07 models

[quote name="thrang"] [quote name="whtcrxghst"]Pioneer will offer a cable next year too if it makes you feel better

[/quote]

Not following - you're saying that Pioneer is going to release an update to the iPod interface for the Z1?Where have you read about this?

Thanks[/quote][/quote]

So the Z1 will be "obsolete" by 2007? nice...
[quote name="madmanfrommars"]If you look on ebay you'll find people who have auctions for ways to utilitize the actual ipod controls because the radio interfaces (except for the n3) are terrible.[/quote]'

Actually there is a workaround posted on these forums here somewhere, about letting the iPod go into a sleep mode after not using for a period of time (Z1 on another input while the ipod is connected), and then hitting the menu button on the ipod to get it to back out to the main menu.

You can then reselect ipod on the Z1, and use the controls on the ipod, through the onscreen display for me sometimes does not show all information correctly. But if you're going to do that, just get the iPod AV cable that plugs into the headphone jack and connect to the AUX input on the Zq, and get pictures and video too - slightly lower quality, but in a car, you really can't tell.

My synopis of the workaround above may not be entirely right, so search here to find the details posted by another forum member. I've only dont it a few times, so I don't remember precisely...
[quote name="thrang"]

If the Pioneers and Sonys of the world would develop that same commitment, things would be much better.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. I have been saying this same thing over and over. It just makes no sense to me that a company would spend so much time making a great product like the Z1 and then hobble it by making the add-ons work like mentally retarded cheerleaders at an ass kicking contest:

"Hello! I are the play music, iPOD it is! yeah! What are you the want? yeah! You want the list of the name of the songs it is? ...ok, I are the get for you it is... yeah! [2 mins later] Hello! I are the play music, iPOD it is! yeah! What are you the want..." ARGH!

Whomever is in charge of development of add on needs to be fired and all of his team needs to be fired. I fully believe that some of the problems are from a lack of support from management. The bean counters say, "Don't spend money on development when we can just use the same old thing that's been working for us for so long (the IP-bus)!"

This is just wrong headed. You need to change with the times or you will be left behind. Bean counters make horrible entrepreneurs...

There is a very simple rule in business: If you fail to provide what the customer wants someone else will provide it.

Right now that appears to be Alpine. I had some MAJOR complaints against their head units but the DVD head unit with optional Nav (my main want) allows using ANY USB audio player. No more locking you into The Holy Church of Apple. The interface actually look a LOT nicer too in the Alpine unit. The Z1's interface looks a bit klunky.
[quote name="thrang"]
You can then reselect ipod on the Z1, and use the controls on the ipod, [b]through[/b] the onscreen display for me sometimes does not show all information correctly.[/quote]

I think you mean "though" not "through". Your mistypeing had me thinking there was a work around that allowed you to use the iPod's controls on the Z1's screen. Then you mentioned using video and you completely threw me for a loop.

So, to clarify, You CAN NOT use the built in iPod menu of the Z1 to play videos. You must use an A/V adapter cable and the iPod's controls.

What you were talking about is using the iPod itself to control the iPod because the Z1's interface is hopelessly broken.