AVIC411.com

Stolen iPod, music retrievable?

I'm just gonna keep this short and to the point..

Some son of a bitch stole my iPod on New Years Eve, and I lost all my music (VBlue, the one I bought from you), and until I find out who it was, if I ever do, I'm out 5000 songs. I don't care about the iPod itself, I have an extra one. What I do care about, is the amount of music that was on it, so what I want to know, as far as possibility, is do you think somewhere in Testmode, the VR Dictionary kept track of all the artists and songs? Thank you all for any input.

Happy new year :x

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They should be in your itunes library, do a search on google for adding another ipod to itunes or something. You shouldnt be out all those songs just for losing your ipod. You would be in the same situation if you bought a new one, itunes accounts for that.

whip

I don't keep the music on my computer, it was about 25GB worth and that would affect my computer's performance and far as used memory. After I put it on the iPod, I delete it. I have a program called Copypod that transfers media from the iPod back onto the computer, so I figured if I ever do need music back on my comp, I can just do that. But I shot myself in the foot now because there were songs from years ago I can't retrive. But I do have an idea of who took it...

One of the people I thought it might be, unfortuantly is one of my closest friends, is very inconsistent with his story. It disappearred when he left and when I asked him about it, he said he doesn't have an iPod when I've personally held his in my hand...then he claimed his iPod is missing too but when his dad let my check his truck, his iPod was sitting in his glovebox connected to his radio. What you guys think, am I overanalyzing or he's a bit sketchy?

I don't keep the music on my computer, it was about 25GB worth and that would affect my computer's performance and far as used memory. After I put it on the iPod, I delete it. I have a program called Copypod that transfers media from the iPod back onto the computer, so I figured if I ever do need music back on my comp, I can just do that. But I shot myself in the foot now because there were songs from years ago I can't retrive.

man.. that bites, especially with it being a friend, I'm sorry.

You're 100% right on the shooting yourself in the foot however, the portable device should never be the original of your music, it should always be a copy, just to prevent this. Just like you should never only have 1 copy of any vital or important data, you should always have multiple copies, I keep a copy of my music "clean" and unmolested by iTunes, then a copy in iTunes for my ipod and iphone to use, and then everything gets backed up to the NAS in the basement. External hard drives are cheap.. you should have asked Santa! They're great valentines gifts also!

remember, no one was ever fired for backing up too much data.

One of the people I thought it might be, unfortunately is one of my closest friends, is very inconsistent with his story. It disappeared when he left and when I asked him about it, he said he doesn't have an iPod when I've personally held his in my hand...then he claimed his iPod is missing too but when his dad let my check his truck, his iPod was sitting in his glovebox connected to his radio. What you guys think, am I overanalyzing or he's a bit sketchy?

Oh.. and every ipod has a serial number, and if you have your copy of itunes still, it will tell you what it was, the police would be very happy to compare that the his ipod if you really think that's the case, custom engraving also comes in handy here to help.

Diane

iPods are small and portable which makes them great for carrying around large music libraries, however because of these exact features you also expose the iPod to being lost, stolen, or damaged (dropped, electrical system malfunction in the car, fallen out of pocket into the toilet), heck my old iPod mini just stopped working one day.

And if you call apple for repairs they don't actually fix your personal iPod, they've got a whole bunch of already repaired units that they send out to people as replacements when your iPod is sent in for service which means you lose your music in this situation as well.

In short, you should always keep a backup of your purchases. You don't need to store it on your computer, in fact it's probably better if you didn't because even your computer can suffer a virus or various breakdown which will require it to be reformated. The cheapest back up solution I'd suggest would be a DVD burner, if you don't have one you can buy one for $30.00, and the DVD-R's themselves aren't all too expensive either and they store between 4-7 gigs.

Sorry for my little rant, I know it doesn't do you a whole lot of good in retrieving your stolen iPod or lost music now. But it could save you a headache in the future.

What you guys think, am I overanalyzing or he's a bit sketchy?

He seems to be a bit sketchy to me. A lot of the time, your closest friends are the ones you need to watch out for in times like this. I learned that the hard way, I never leave anything out when people are over, doesn't matter how long I've known them or how good of a friend they are.

I have a 160 GB portable hard drive with 60gb of music and about 40gb of movies. If you are interested, and due to the amount of assistance you have been in my quest for the perfect AVIC... I would be willing to ship it to you.

The music is EVERYTHING from classical to classic rock, to rock, rap, hip hip, R & B... I listen to everything, and often DL's music just because I could!

Movies include mostly action/adventure and several movies that are either still in theatres or just out of the theatre. I dont keep junk CAM videos!

T

Thank you for your generous offer, I appreciate it very much. But I'm going to have to decline. It's my own fault that I have to redownload all my music and I do not want to take the chance of your HD getting lost or damaged during the shipping process. I wouldn't want to inconvenience u in any way because of my situation.

Thank you all for the help/support. However, the cold hard fact is I'm going to have to get my music back the hard way. I'll be sure to keep you all updated if anything comes up. If it is who I think it is, he will eventually slip and he'll have no idea what he got himself into.

Thanks again :D

That sucks dude, I once ran into a guy who tryed to steal the sunglasses out of my car while i was driving his ass to lunch (this was back in HS) my friend in the back seat saw him and was like WTF...later i found out about this, and saw that he left his cheap ass pair of oakleys in my car, so i just tossed them in the trash.

Anyway, good luck with the find man, id straight up confront him, ive had some people who i considerd a friend do me wrong in some really bad ways, So dont put it past him, even if you think hes the type of person who could actualy do this...then even more so.

Ive got a 250 GB HD with full CD quality music, everything from 80's and 90's, my uncle used to be a DJ and worked for Capital. If yuou want i can ship it to you also, its just collecting dust as a back up

UPDATE:

Well, no luck on finding the old pod, but an amazing turn of events took place last night..

I was hanging out wit a few friends, drinkin a few beers on his porch, when an old friend from elementary school was walking down the road. He stopped over and after a bit of catchin up he asked if we were interested in buying any electronics stuff. Puzzled, we asked what he had. He had a Zen mp3 player, an iPod nano, and some other things.. then he pulls something else out and claims he has no idea what it is. I took a look at it, and wouldn't you know, it's a 1TB Seagate external drive. Right away I told him name a price. he said $50, but because he didn't have the wires, he gave it to me for $20. Idk how he got it or where he got it from, but I didn't bother to ask, all I know is it was the luckiest thing that's ever happened to me.