AVIC411.com

Stolen iPod, music retrievable?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

Well, the power wire finally came in the mail, and I was able to use my USB charger for my PS3 controllers for the USB wire :lol:

All that was on it was 122gb of documents about......radiation therapy. Some files didn't let me access because I 'didn't have permission', but whatever I'm reformatting it as I'm writing this and Backing up my iPod onto it. which by the way the old one still hasn't turned up.

1 Tb hard drive!! 50 dollars would still be a steal.

Your X-friend got your Ipod,no doubt!!

Yeah, no pun there, it obviously WAS a steal... or stolen, whatever.

Sounds to me like you guys need to learn how to pick better friends if you really believe that your close friends are the ones you need to watch out for...

Of course, if your friends are selling you stolen merch and you're buying, then I guess the same could be said of them.

Karma is a "beotch" as they say.

The music is gone... no question of that... but maybe now that you have your hot new hard drive you'll back up your itunes library after spending the next month re-ripping all of your music... unless of course it was bootlegged downloaded stuff and if so... well, sorry bout your luck.

UPDATE:

All that was on it was 122gb of documents about......radiation therapy. Some files didn't let me access because I 'didn't have permission', but whatever I'm reformatting it as I'm writing this and Backing up my iPod onto it. which by the way the old one still hasn't turned up.

damn.. yeah it's hot all right, I'd be careful around that friend, that's the kind of trouble you don't need in your life.

You all have it wrong. The guy I brought the drive from is not the same guy who I think took the iPod. He was just a kid we went to school with that just showed up one night. Anyways, what's done is done, I have everythig backed up and i'm going to have to start over. Thanks you all the help and support, guys.

And Beefy, please save your preaching for someone else. I never stole from anybody so shove your karma philosophy up your ass. Thank you.

You all have it wrong. The guy I brought the drive from is not the same guy who I think took the iPod. He was just a kid we went to school with that just showed up one night.

I didn't think it was the same guy. Just seems shady that someone walks around with a drive full of medical information.

Good to hear you figured it all out.

The difference is 1. I didn't physically take it. 2. I didn't ask where he got it from. 3. Unlike stealing, I did nothing illegal. With that theory, you'd say someone stole from like 10 different artists if they made a mix cd for themselves....ridiculous. and My ipod was stolen prior to me buying the drive so your karma philosophy wouldn't even apply. If I want your opinion or lecture I'll ask for it.

I guess in the end some poor med student or researcher just lost 122GB of work. : /

They always leave the cables... I had a drive stolen from me before, same thing. 60GB of backups (friends/family pictures, games, movies, etc!).

Even if he didn't buy the drive, someone else would have. Maybe karma will still bite him for supporting the thief, but it's still going to get fenced somewhere by another 'lucky' buyer.

Anyway, that blows about losing the iPod, better luck in future.

If you post ANYTHING on a PUBLIC forum then you are "asking" for whatever response you get, Einstien.

Why don't you go down to your local police station and ask them if buying stolen merchandise (KNOWINGLY OR NOT) is illegal. It's obvious that you will be surprised by the answer...mere POSSESSION of stolen merchandise is a crime.

Just ask EVERY PERSON who ever had stolen merchandise confiscated from them...

If it even SEEMED out of place, and you still chose to make the purchase, you CAN be held legally accountable, but at the very least, you'd lose the merchandise and draw unwanted attention to yourself...kinda like you're doing now.

If you don't know the law, then don't run your mouth... and DEFINITELY don't share this kind of stuff on a PUBLIC forum. You're not above the law and frankly, it would be fairly easy for anyone on here to tip the local authorities off to people who they THINK might be involved in illegal activities.

You may think it's no big deal, it's only a hundred dollar hard drive... what you DON'T know is what the value of the files that YOU destroyed (not the guy who stole the drive) were worth... possibly THOUSANDS, or MILLIONS, who knows... point is, you have no idea what you may have just gotten yourself into... and NOW, it's documented here FOREVER! Smart move. :roll:

And kachunkachunk, the theory that even if HE didn't buy the drive, someone else would have is irrelevant to say the least... it may be true that someone else would have purchased it, but by that theory you're saying that even if OJ didn't kill his wife, someone else would have, so it's really no big deal that he did it...