AVIC411.com

W-LAN on AVIC F900BT

Hey, This idea sounds pretty practical, and i'm suprized you havent gotten an answer by anyone yet. I would "assume" that this would work just fine, but you know a WiFi SD card would probably work just as well and be more concealed.

Also, I was wondering if a 4 port USB hub would work? Like plug it into the pioneer system then have 3 extra ports to plug more stuff in? It also sounds practical in the WindowsCE environment.

After booting into testmode, I dont remember if it came with a browser (IE6) or not. I dont think it did, but if you could get WiFi working with either the USB or SD, I'm almost positive you could find a browser (such as Mozilla's Minimo) on the internet.

This would actually be pretty practical...your in town, dont have internet on your phone (or its watered down and slow) you could stop somewhere and hop on the internet, just like at home. Now that would be cool.

I have a USB linksys WiFi thing, Ill test it soon and see if anything happens...I doubt it has drivers to start with, but we may get lucky...

-Hagan

I just tried it with a WUSB54G USB WiFi thing from Linksys. I can confirm that the adapter gets power, but winCE doesn't have drivers for it or a browser. I think with all the people on this site, this could defentally work. There are some drivers out there for some other USB WiFi adaptors, but I dont have the time to try right now. Also, I had the original CD from my USB adaptor, which I inserted to see what would happen...just a long shot...It just played a sound from my speakers like it wanted to eat my CD, it was kinda funny actually.

The thing that would hold this back the most is that the WinCE environment on our Pioneers don't seem to save information, and doing the same thing everyday to get WiFi just as long as you keep your car running is NOT practical.

If anyone cares to try this, feel free. We need someone who knows a little bit more about these things then I do, but I hope I helped to answer your question.

-Hagan

I would really like to have one of these work...

Spectec SDW-821 is the ONLY SD WIFI card that supports 802.11b and 802.11g on the market. This SDIO Wi-Fi card is compatible with today most popular PDA models: iMate, iPAQ, Dell, etc. The card's sleek and compact design is less than half the size of today standard SD wireless cards, while outperforming its competitors in stability, speed, range, reception strength and more. The Spectec SDW-821 is your solution for connecting to the web anytime and anywhere!

Features

"OS Compatibility: Windows Mobile 2003, 5.0, 6.0/Pocket PC 2003 prime edition and 2nd edition, Windows CE v4.2, Windows Mobile 5.0 for PPC Smartphone.

Avg Operation: 185mA (while surfing the web)

Card Dimensions: 38.5 x 24 x 2.1 mm

Certifications: FCC, CE, Telec, DGT, IEEE 802.11b/g/Wi-Fi certified

Data Rate/Modulation Type: 6, 9, 12, 18, 24, 36, 48, 54 Mbps for 802.11g; 1, 2, 5.5, 11 Mbps for 802.11b

Frequency: Fully integrated, 2.4GHz band direct conversion transceiver

Incompatible With: Windows Mobile 2.0 (upgrade will not work) and Palm OS

Interface Requirement: SDIO Ver.1.0 (Support Ver.1.1 or later), IEEE802.11b/g / Wi-Fi certified

Operating Channels: channel 1

Operating Range: Outside - 400m; Inside - 100m

Operating Voltage: PA: 3.0-3.6V, TRX: 2.7V

Radio Type: Direct Sequence Spread Spectrum (DSSS)

Receive Mode: 60mA

Sleep Mode: 5uA

Transmit Mode: 116mA for 15dBm pout

Weight: Approx. 5g "

Well I dont know if its a matter of finding a browser (something like Opera or one of Firefox's projects would work) and IE 6 would work if we could get our hands on that copy since it didnt come bundled with our version of WinCE.

I think the problem lies in how the system is set up. I don't know if we were to install something if it would stay installed. I don't know if that really makes since, but it seems like anything that we change in WinCE reverts back to factory settings after you restart your car. Of course I don't know this for sure, but I will look into it tomorrow...and if that is the case...the hard part would be to find a way for windows not to revert back to factory settings every time you start your car.

Even with this problem, which is unconfirmed as of now (I got that idea from reading another post about memory reallocation)...I still think that internet (and some other PC tasks) are definitely possible.

-Hagan

Not to dash your hopes... Actually, that is what I am going to do. Windows CE is not like Windows XP. You can't add drivers to it on the fly. They have to be built into the Windows CE image to begin with. By default, Windows CE comes with USB drivers for a USB keyboard, a mouse, and standard mass storage devices. Anything else has to be added by the programmers doing the "board support package." (That would be Pioneer, in this case.) They had to add a driver for the iPod. We know that the mass storage drivers are there too, because that is a supported feature. They probably also left the mouse and keyboard drivers in for their own debug use. I seriously doubt there are any other USB drivers in the Pioneer image. Also, I doubt you could find Win CE driver source code for any of the wireless devices. (And if you could, you still need all of Pioneer's source code to add it to and recompile.)

It is obvious I used the wrong title when I started this thread:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20471

I found a USB dongle that is a wired ethernet connection and has a chip insde that has WinCE 5 drivers available. I posted the pdf that the manufacture provided on how to enable the driver in WinCE. I don't know enough about it to make it happen but I know there are several people on here that do.

I figure if you have a wifi hotspot in your car then you will have a wired one as well. It would be easier for the F series to use a wired connection so you don't have to fiddle with all the crap that goes along with wifi. (i.e. WEP, different access points, etc.)

I am sure there are things missing from our F series to enable TCP/IP. It is going to take someone that really knows CE to compile a build.

Does someone really want to sit in their car, hunched over with a magnifying glass and their stylus surfing the web on a small inch screen?

I think ill stick with my iphone. At least you can zoom in on the stuff and scroll around. And not to mention lean back.

I didn't mean sit and play flash games all day, but if you needed to look something up, the Avic would be there to do so. I also have an iPhone 3G, but to me, this would still be pretty cool if we could get it to a practical stage, which probably can't or won't happen. I also figured that it would be a little harder than what I was hoping...but I was still hoping. I just think that now that we have direct access to the WinCE OS, there is HUGE potential and this would just be a cool experiment.

Yeah, I guess my iPhone works fine, but the thought of having not just a stereo, but something that resembles Windows in my car just makes me want to try it more because things are usually so easy to mod, I just dont have the experience with CE.

So what if we have a WiFi card that has WinCE 5.0 drivers? would it work, or because this version was modified specifically for it's purpose, would it not do much of anything?

-Hagan

and kd6icz,

I think your on to something. I downloaded that .PDF and to me it looks like you can add drivers...just manually. The .PDF also shows some sort of internet browser that can be installed to the device...This would be nice.

Anyone interested in trying this??

-Hagan

Ok, we summarize times:

forget about the USB stick, because there are no drivers for Win CE provides. With an SD wireless card, we have better chances, because so extra for WIN CE is.

Is There somebody who has an SD wireless card and could be test it?

The next item would be even the browser. Has someone ever experience with the installation done ... hire with PDA, or PNA?

• 5 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...